PerformanceTrucks.net Forums

PerformanceTrucks.net Forums (https://www.performancetrucks.net/forums/)
-   GMT 900 Trucks General Discussion (https://www.performancetrucks.net/forums/gmt-900-trucks-general-discussion-188/)
-   -   factory lift block on a 2WD?! (https://www.performancetrucks.net/forums/gmt-900-trucks-general-discussion-188/factory-lift-block-2wd-484839/)

silver-mod-o 06-30-2011 02:09 PM

factory lift block on a 2WD?!

just looking under the truck a little while ago and noticed that this thing has a lift block in it like a Z71... WTF!!

Looks like shackles and removing this block should put her sitting nice and level :judge:

redneck08sierra 06-30-2011 03:15 PM

yep, can't believe you didn't notice before!!! I believe there are enough threads on the shackle to take out the block and tighten down

silver-mod-o 06-30-2011 03:32 PM

yeah, only had the truck a few days. news to me. I'm plenty familiar with GM truck suspensions and how to alter them.

stevensLS1 06-30-2011 05:11 PM

Not really related to your post but this is the reason I opted for the 2WD since they sat as high as the 4WD. Unlike in the past where the 4WD was always a bit taller. Post pics when finished!

dlt76028 06-30-2011 06:32 PM

lol, you got to keep up to date with these new trucks man.

silver-mod-o 06-30-2011 09:20 PM

I've been under several but for some reason never noticed. I took mine out today, looks much better and didn't affect the ride at all, shackles would level it perfectly. Not gonna mess with the suspension past this most likely, it's gonna get tinted, maybe a muffler and left alone.

redneck08sierra 07-01-2011 09:29 AM

Originally Posted by silver-mod-o (Post 4727546)
I've been under several but for some reason never noticed. I took mine out today, looks much better and didn't affect the ride at all, shackles would level it perfectly. Not gonna mess with the suspension past this most likely, it's gonna get tinted, maybe a muffler and left alone.

dumb question but when you took the blocks out, what part of the truck did you jack up to get the leaf spring off the block? Also, no issues with the u bolt threads

dlt76028 07-01-2011 07:04 PM

Originally Posted by redneck08sierra (Post 4727733)
dumb question but when you took the blocks out, what part of the truck did you jack up to get the leaf spring off the block? Also, no issues with the u bolt threads

jack up the truck under the rear differential, put jack stands under the frame, lower jack down until differential stops. now all the tension is off the leaf springs.

silver-mod-o 07-01-2011 08:28 PM

Drove it up on a 4post lift, used the jack built in the lift to pick the truck up by the frame. Let the rear hang, busted the U bolts loose with an impact, popped the blocks out, lowered the truck with the jack until it rested on the axle, cinched up the U bolts and away we went... Took all of 10min tops... But yes, I cheated :jest:

It could be done in a driveway with hand tools and jack and jackstands in 30-40 min easily.