Notices
GMT 900 Trucks General Discussion 2007 - 2013 Trucks | General Discussion

excessive cab noise?

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2011, 09:34 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default excessive cab noise?

I just came across a thread on another board that talks about loud wind noise in 2010 Silverado and Sierra crew cabs. The thread starts way back last May and goes on for 19 pages (!) up through this month. It looks like an issue with cheap GM air vents behind the rear seat. Some of the guys have solved the issue by all sorts of complicated projects, some after MANY trips back to their dealers. Some are REALLY pissed.

There were only a couple of mentions of extended cabs with this issue, but I'm curious - have any of you guys had this kind of problem? Maybe this is the wrong board to ask this question; with all the headers, wide-open mufflers, cutouts and dumps I read about, none of you would hear wind noise anyway ....
Old 03-27-2011, 10:29 AM
On The Tree

my 09 cc sierra seems more loud road noise and all then my last 05 gmc ex cab I noticed it right away not a big deal to me but yes my 09 cc has more road noise than my other ec cab truck.
Old 03-27-2011, 01:06 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Mine had it until last weekend when I solved all of it plus some. I yanked the complete interior and used dynamat every panel I could get to. Then I expanded foamed every hollow cavity in the complete truck. If you are just doing the back seating area remove the seat and the jute insulator.

Dynamatt the complete area. Then take three cans of expanding foam and fill in the bulged area below the back glass.

Then loosely re-install the insulator the loosely stuff the area around each vent with home insulation. Then full re-install the insulator in the middle of the insulator there is an opening above the trans tunnel. Loosely stuff this area with home insulation.

Then on mine when I reinstalled the carpet and door panels after **** tons on dyna mat I stuffed home insulation anywhere I could pack it behind the door panels and under the carpet.

Dymat, home insulation, expanding foam are all you need and a weekend I'll post pics tonight got busy last week.

End result sierra that is quieter than a new lexus literally.
Old 03-27-2011, 02:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 01WS6/tamu

End result sierra that is quieter than a new lexus literally.
Wow, awesome job! I'll be watching for the pix. I hope like hell I don't have to do any of it, but at least I'll know I can beat it if I have to.
Old 03-27-2011, 10:14 PM
Staging Lane

I had an 04 SS previously, and my 2011 Sierra CC is FAR QUIETER inside!

Granted I've never been in the back so can't speak for that
Old 03-28-2011, 08:51 AM
TECH Fanatic

I can hear alot of wind from the arch of the window when i am going down the freeway. Kinda annoying, so i crank up the radio.
Old 03-28-2011, 11:14 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I don't have wind noise in my 08' ext but there is a lot of creaking when driving in neighborhoods or parking lots, I've got to figure out a way to get this reduced it's really annoying
Old 03-29-2011, 11:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

damn and i wanted to buy a 4 door silverado.. guess ill just keep my rcsb..
Old 03-30-2011, 12:56 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Mine was road noise from behind the rear seat. Try to get some pics up. I can get the projects done but never have time to go back and post the pics it seems
Old 03-30-2011, 11:32 AM
TECH Apprentice

My 09 cc is much quieter inside than my bros 05 ec, not even a comparison really. My uncle bought a '10 cc and had a noise behind his rear seat, took it back the first week he had it and they switched a panel from a '09 they still had on the lot (which they said was a design change) and it fixed it...that's what they said they did anyway but if I remember right he said he watched them

Quick Reply: excessive cab noise?