PerformanceTrucks.net Forums

PerformanceTrucks.net Forums (https://www.performancetrucks.net/forums/)
-   GMT 900 Trucks General Discussion (https://www.performancetrucks.net/forums/gmt-900-trucks-general-discussion-188/)
-   -   evaporator core (https://www.performancetrucks.net/forums/gmt-900-trucks-general-discussion-188/evaporator-core-549868/)

Jake75 08-05-2017 07:24 PM

evaporator core

Has anyone every changed on on the sierra? I have a leak that isn't showing anywhere with uv leak detector. Wondering what i'm in for repair wise. Didn't find much online about changing one

FFDP 08-06-2017 12:07 AM

I haven't done one on a newer model truck but I can tell you it's not going to be fun.

Ideally you will need to drop the steering column, then start unbolting the dash so you can pull it forward and away from the fire wall. Then kinda pull the passenger side over more at a angle to get at the entire heater box. Remove the whole heater box assembly and replace the core. You'll have to disconnect the heater core lines as well.

Jake75 08-06-2017 12:19 PM

Dam. That's not what I wanted to hear at all. Probably still better than taking it to the dealer and getting charged an arm and a leg.

FFDP 08-06-2017 08:12 PM

I looked into it and it's a 7.4 hour job with a truck that has bucket seats.

I would look into buying an alldata subscription for just that truck or find someone that can give you a step by step print out from a dealership, all data or mitchel on demand. There are a lot of steps to take when doing this.

Jake75 08-06-2017 09:00 PM

Originally Posted by FFDP (Post 5416063)
I looked into it and it's a 7.4 hour job with a truck that has bucket seats.

I would look into buying an alldata subscription for just that truck or find someone that can give you a step by step print out from a dealership, all data or mitchel on demand. There are a lot of steps to take when doing this.

Yea i have all data. I'm going to start tackling this tomorrow after noon. hopefully all goes well. I'll be replacing the heater core as well since i'm there.

Jake75 08-07-2017 06:35 PM

She back to blowing cold! Turned out to be the condenser. Trans cooler rubbed a hole in the condenser. I had the cooler right up against it since my intercooler was in the front. Now that the intercooler I moved the cooler back to the front

colekill 08-08-2017 12:22 PM

thats good! i traded my single cab in when the evap went out... i was quoted 3 grand to replace it..

Jake75 08-08-2017 06:38 PM

Originally Posted by colekill (Post 5416191)
thats good! i traded my single cab in when the evap went out... i was quoted 3 grand to replace it..

Man i already had off all the dash trim and was getting ready to drop the steering wheel when i found out the condenser was leaking. luckily i didn't get the core out only to find it was fine.

01WS6/tamu 08-14-2017 09:05 PM

Just a fyi for those of you who may need to do a evap or heater core in the future if you have the SLT, LTZ or the LUX dash you may as well plan and budget on the upper dash filler panel and the top dash panel. Unless you have religiously kept it covered and or in a garage it's whole life the dash will crumble and crack as soon as you disturb it. Plan on replacing the heater core at the same time as well it's very cheap insurance if you don't want to do the job twice.

If you have the standard sierra or silverado dash the upper dash filler panel underneath the windshield clips break every time as well, the dash is only fractionally more durable.