evaporator core - PerformanceTrucks.net Forums

GMT 900 Trucks General Discussion 2007 - 2013 Trucks | General Discussion

evaporator core

Old 08-05-2017, 08:24 PM   #1
TECH Enthusiast

Default evaporator core

Has anyone every changed on on the sierra? I have a leak that isn't showing anywhere with uv leak detector. Wondering what i'm in for repair wise. Didn't find much online about changing one
Jake75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 01:07 AM   #2
TECH Junkie

I haven't done one on a newer model truck but I can tell you it's not going to be fun.

Ideally you will need to drop the steering column, then start unbolting the dash so you can pull it forward and away from the fire wall. Then kinda pull the passenger side over more at a angle to get at the entire heater box. Remove the whole heater box assembly and replace the core. You'll have to disconnect the heater core lines as well.
FFDP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 01:19 PM   #3
TECH Enthusiast

Dam. That's not what I wanted to hear at all. Probably still better than taking it to the dealer and getting charged an arm and a leg.
Old 08-06-2017, 09:12 PM   #4
TECH Junkie

I looked into it and it's a 7.4 hour job with a truck that has bucket seats.

I would look into buying an alldata subscription for just that truck or find someone that can give you a step by step print out from a dealership, all data or mitchel on demand. There are a lot of steps to take when doing this.
FFDP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 10:00 PM   #5
TECH Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by FFDP View Post
I looked into it and it's a 7.4 hour job with a truck that has bucket seats.

I would look into buying an alldata subscription for just that truck or find someone that can give you a step by step print out from a dealership, all data or mitchel on demand. There are a lot of steps to take when doing this.
Yea i have all data. I'm going to start tackling this tomorrow after noon. hopefully all goes well. I'll be replacing the heater core as well since i'm there.
Old 08-07-2017, 07:35 PM   #6
TECH Enthusiast

She back to blowing cold! Turned out to be the condenser. Trans cooler rubbed a hole in the condenser. I had the cooler right up against it since my intercooler was in the front. Now that the intercooler I moved the cooler back to the front
Old 08-08-2017, 01:22 PM   #7
KickinAssAndTakinNames

thats good! i traded my single cab in when the evap went out... i was quoted 3 grand to replace it..
colekill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 07:38 PM   #8
TECH Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by colekill View Post
thats good! i traded my single cab in when the evap went out... i was quoted 3 grand to replace it..
Man i already had off all the dash trim and was getting ready to drop the steering wheel when i found out the condenser was leaking. luckily i didn't get the core out only to find it was fine.
Old 08-14-2017, 10:05 PM   #9
TECH Veteran

Just a fyi for those of you who may need to do a evap or heater core in the future if you have the SLT, LTZ or the LUX dash you may as well plan and budget on the upper dash filler panel and the top dash panel. Unless you have religiously kept it covered and or in a garage it's whole life the dash will crumble and crack as soon as you disturb it. Plan on replacing the heater core at the same time as well it's very cheap insurance if you don't want to do the job twice.

If you have the standard sierra or silverado dash the upper dash filler panel underneath the windshield clips break every time as well, the dash is only fractionally more durable.
01WS6/tamu is offline   Reply With Quote