Notices
GMT 900 Trucks General Discussion 2007 - 2013 Trucks | General Discussion

Dod and tunes

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2011, 02:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've read that DOD was available on the 6.0 in trucks, and then starting in 2010 they added it to the 6.2 in SUVs. (And actually GM is now calling it Active Fuel Management.)
Old 04-20-2011, 03:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by NKPPhil
I've read that DOD was available on the 6.0 in trucks, and then starting in 2010 they added it to the 6.2 in SUVs. (And actually GM is now calling it Active Fuel Management.)
yea a guy on another site has the 09' 6.0 with dod. he says he hardly feels it at all.. i guess different trucks act different. lol..
Old 04-20-2011, 03:42 PM
TECH Resident

My '09 5.3 had it and I never noticed it either. If you so much as touched the throttle it was gone anyway. With the way the freeways are constructed here you are almost always on a grade going up or down so it was pretty useless since it was never able to stay on. It was pretty much a non factor and I don't miss it on my 6.2 but if it was there it wouldn't bother me.
Old 04-20-2011, 03:42 PM
Mod with training wheels

Received 202 Likes on 138 Posts

I never felt it on mine. I even had a flowmaster 40 series on back in the day and the difference in tone wasn't bad at all. Transition from 4 to 8 was quick and seamless. It's a good idea if you live in an area with lots of 55-65mph speed limits. That's where it makes the best gains. But for 75mph interstates, the 4 cylinders just don't put down enough torque to overcome wind resistance. 6.2 might be a different story...
Old 04-20-2011, 08:48 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Wyttrash96
! The 4 cylinder mode only turns on when you're under 6% TPS. I'm learning how to tune, and I have my DOD TPS raised up to 12%. Highway mileage went from 19 to 22, at about 65 mph. If you don't like the sound in 4 cylinder mode, just turn up the stereo.
Hmmm......... what year you working on ......... never seen a new truck with DBW TB have a TPS % rate any lower than 15% at idle ??? or are you monitoring a different parameter my V4 mode varies but will hold til about 34% TPS under most conditions ....... have you increased the timing in V4 mode ??
Old 04-20-2011, 09:56 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Its always been called AFM (from 07 brochure). Dodge called it dod. In my truck with stock exhaust can't hear it unless its really windy pushing you for some reason (perhaps it changes things enough muffler doesn't work properly to change the tone), can't feel it, doesn't surge so no idea where all that comes from. I do have a RCSB though, so that helps, as don't have the extra 500-800 lbs of a ext/crew cab.

I do know the aluminum block versions in the early years had issues as those cylinders would cool off too fast or something like that, causing sticking rings and oil use. Its pretty much useless on the highway too I have found unless going downhill.

For a while the 6.2 was the only engine with the 6 speed auto and they were having issues with the trucksgetting that combo tuned in v4 so simply skipped it. I think they got it sorted out now though (haven't looked for a while).

Maybe its our roads or our altitude but it works wicked here. Speed limit on many of our roads are 50mph and with all the cameras you don't go much over that in those sections (not for long anyway), it will sit in v4 for a long time... I'd post my mileage but people just get mad and call me a BS'er so screw it. Works good for me though, and yes I check real mileage, not just using dash readout for avg fuel economy.

Whether you want it or use it or not is fine, but just remember GM gets points for putting it in and that allows them to keep making big monster engines we all like so that is good. One of these days I will get my 6.2L/6 speed into this thing and I won't be bothering with AFM when I do that!
Old 04-20-2011, 10:30 PM
I hate my cats

Originally Posted by CDN SS
Hmmm......... what year you working on ......... never seen a new truck with DBW TB have a TPS % rate any lower than 15% at idle ??? or are you monitoring a different parameter my V4 mode varies but will hold til about 34% TPS under most conditions ....... have you increased the timing in V4 mode ??
Really? I read about it on the hpt board, Some folks said they raised it from 6% to 20, and an experienced tuner said 12 was the magic number. 34? Serious? Haven't touched timing yet. And my truck is an 08.

Last edited by Wyttrash96; 04-20-2011 at 10:36 PM.
Old 04-20-2011, 11:08 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Wyttrash96
Really? I read about it on the hpt board, Some folks said they raised it from 6% to 20, and an experienced tuner said 12 was the magic number. 34? Serious? Haven't touched timing yet. And my truck is an 08.
I do believe the DoD TPS reading is NOT the same as the TPS, read this:

http://www.hptuners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10993

So the 6% (my stock tune has this figure as well) would be actual, whereas the 18% my truck idles at would be GM using the voltage of the sensor again (in the same way you only get 87-88% TPS reading at full throttle even though you are wide open).

i'm not much of a teacher, sorry.

Also, when I was playing with AFM don't forget you have to modify the vacuum tables under "vacuum thresholds", it all works together.

Last edited by niugnep; 04-20-2011 at 11:20 PM.
Old 04-21-2011, 10:17 AM
Launching!

OK that makes sense .......based on voltage my truck idles at 15% TPS and yes WOT 88% ......... My AFM works fine seamless in and out .......but of course does not stay in long enough to be a real benefit ..............since I went to 4.11 rear gear it comes in alot sooner and I now can actually cruise at 60/65 without it kicking out for the slightest incline ..........the 4.11 gear alows less throttle position to move this truck stop and go city mileage has improved alot ....... I dont have a tune yet trying to gather as much info on how AFM working in my truck for my tuner .it appears to me vacuum and TPS effect it the most and pbly "load" ( although that rate is pbly a calc of vacumm and tps ??) Some have added a bit of timing to the V4 mode to made more power in V4 .....appreciate the info
Old 04-21-2011, 11:28 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by niugnep
Whether you want it or use it or not is fine, but just remember GM gets points for putting it in and that allows them to keep making big monster engines we all like so that is good.
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA-MEN, brother!

Quick Reply: Dod and tunes