Notices
GMT 900 Trucks General Discussion 2007 - 2013 Trucks | General Discussion

Best performance exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2013, 09:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Throw a magnaflow muffler on it and you will be happy.
Old 09-20-2013, 08:04 PM
TECH Senior Member

XL Magnaflow muffla!
Old 10-06-2013, 02:50 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by NemesisC5
Here's a Stainless Works true dual 2.5" catback system on trailblazer with 5.3. For more sound you could tap into factory exhaust after cats and use the Stainless Works performance connection setup for true duals from manifolds back. This would not affect emissions nor require a retune.

Chevrolet Trailblazer 5.3 V8 Stainless Works true dual exhaust TBSSTD-LMF-CB- Done Part 2 - YouTube

Below is a custom true dual from factory cats to exhaust tips, very nice look and good sound. The Stainless Works mufflers flow better than the single Pro-Flo with dual in/dual out. I spoke with Pro-Flo to get their cfm numbers and their 3.5" single in/out flows more than the dual in/out pictured.

2011 GMC Denali 1500 6.2 Custom True Dual with Flo~Pro muffler by Kinney's. - YouTube
I have the Stainless Works dual cat back on my 2013 Silverado. The "turbo" mufflers that come with it are actually straight thru and have a *horrendous* drone. I replaced them with their true turbo style mufflers and I'm happy with the setup now.
Old 10-06-2013, 02:52 PM
TECH Addict

Received 61 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by Three6GMC
Swap out to a 6.2 catback, weld up a QTP electric exhaust cutout right before the muffler and done. That setup will give you power and sound open or closed.
:word:
Old 10-10-2013, 08:08 AM
FormerVendor

Check out our S-Tube muffler catback, other exit locations also available.

2007+ Chevy/ GMC 2WD/ 4WD 4.8, 5.3, 6.0L Truck extended cab w/ std bed or crew cab w/short bed (143.5" W.B.)
304 SS 2.5" Dual Exhaust System with y-pipe, dual S-Tube turbo mufflers, 3.5" dia. polished slash cut tips, hangers and clamps.
Exits behind both rear tires. Fits factory connection point ball flare.

More Info

The S-Tube muffler is an awesome sound, very clean & crisp, doesn't sound like a motorboat!!
Old 10-10-2013, 09:37 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by AUTOT3K
thats not a 3rd cat, its just a resonator
but ya remove it just the same!
So 2 resonators, I've heard that eliminating the one at the rear may have caused a slight drone without helping it sound more aggressive. Does removing the resonator on y pipe assembly add drone? Does it make the exhaust note more aggressive? Thanks for any opinions.
Old 10-13-2013, 08:26 AM
Teching In

I have a MBRP installer series on my VortecMax. For what it's worth. It's cheap because it's just your basic system. My only complaint, is that under heavy throttle and higher RPMs (5k+) it seems to get a weird whistle out of the tip. I do not mean a turbo sound, but I'll have to throw a gopro on it and get a second opinion.
Old 10-17-2013, 03:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

BORLA cat back is da schizzle..................
Old 11-08-2013, 12:10 PM
11 Second Club

To the OP, That is NOT a resonator as suggested, it's a non-02 monitored 3rd CAT add by GM for CAFE compliance, it was GMs easy/quick response to CAFE.

Several have gutted these 3rd cats from 09-13 and shared this information on several forums.

You're going to get a ton of taste variations in a thread like this, it's all about personal preference. Based on what you stated thus far I'd offer the suggestion of Borla S-Type pn# 140429. This was designed for "our" trucks specifically tuned for borla's deep throaty sound. The S-Type only comes in dual split @bumper and NOT in the rear-wheel split, that only comes in the Touring. You can also get the Touring in the rear bumper split but I like the louder better tuned new version. The tips are brawny and have a huge O.D. which appear larger than the typical 18" chrome redneck tips some call them. No offense to any rednecks, I used to use them too

Autoanything sells this catback for less than anybody else with free shipping.

You could elect or not to gut the 3rd which will NOT throw any codes since it's non monitored. It really doesn't give you anything worth mentioning powerwise, but a slight sound difference is all. Gutting only, leaves the shell and passes visual for inspection/warranty. GM Service doesn't go around x-raying our CATs. They can inspect that's it is there though and void warranty if missing. Many offroad pipe the 3rd cat, but it's up to you, I like my warranty for now.

Have the same truck basically, 4x4 crew cab 5.3L and had my borla for 2 days now, but there are other great systems out there. I've had Borla on a couple of 5th gen fbody's until I outgrew them needing dumps for the stroker. You'll love the borla I guarantee it.

I'm making a sound clip hopefully this evening and will share it if that helps.
Old 11-08-2013, 12:57 PM
On The Tree

Before I decided to run pipes I just unbolted the exhaust at the back of the y pipe. It sounded awesome. Also did it on my girl's f150 with the 5.4. Best sounding ford around. You should at least try it.You will fall in love.

Quick Reply: Best performance exhaust