Old 02-01-2013, 06:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I want pictures!
Old 02-01-2013, 07:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 1slow01Z71
Why do people love the LS9 cams so much? Its a horrible NA cam.
Why do you say this? My truck went from running 100 mph to 106 with a cam swap.
Old 02-01-2013, 07:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by OrangeChevyII
2011 CC 6.2 on 22's
Mods: Pacesetter longetubes, custom y' pipe, KN CAI,Magnaflow Cat-Back, Ls9 Cam and Sam88GTA tuned.

This is from my original thread from the CC truck.

Ls9 cam works.
Old 02-01-2013, 08:23 PM
Tin Foil Hat Wearin' Fool

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It has crappy low end power and it seems almost everyone who has installed them has lost mileage. Big exhaust biased cams with wide LSAs suck NA because they dont build good tq down low for heavy trucks. Sure the LS9 cam makes decent power but it makes it up top, there are far better cams for heavy trucks than that cam. I had a lingenfelter gt2-3 in my old truck with an LQ4 and it was dead down low and just sucked all around.
Old 02-01-2013, 10:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

My track times increased alot considering its a stock cam. Decrease in fuel milage? Have not witnessed that either.
Old 02-01-2013, 10:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

You do see my dyno graph sheet posting the before and after results right?
Old 02-01-2013, 10:13 PM

Cant tell what the rpm is but Id guess it doesnt start to gain til over 4K. You must have a freak truck then because almost everyone else that has installed that cam has complained of a loss in low end power and loss of mileage. That aligns with what Ive seen from cams with similar specs results. They make decent power but there are much better cams, you realize you only gained 40hp and 20tq from that cam according to your graph right?

Im not trying to be a dick but you started the LS9 cam craze a year or two ago with your posts and I tried to warn people it wasnt that great of a cam and many people ended up being unhappy with their cam choice because like many they see the blingy numbers and dont consider the whole picture.
Old 02-01-2013, 10:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Are you being a dick? I didn't pick up on it if you were.

Yes, I like the cam. As with any cam you've gotta have a tuner to go with it. I have a great tuner. My truck went 13.20's with it on street tires. Can't complain about that....
Old 02-01-2013, 10:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

As far as only gaining 40 rwhp, yes. For a $117 dollar cam...I think it's great.
Old 02-02-2013, 12:14 PM

Are you being a dick? I didn't pick up on it if you were.

Yes, I like the cam. As with any cam you've gotta have a tuner to go with it. I have a great tuner. My truck went 13.20's with it on street tires. Can't complain about that....
Absolutey, there seems to be few and far between who can tune these newer trucks correctly so that for sure is half the battle. But the valve events of this cam for a heavy truck that is NA are all wrong to me. The ridiculously wide exhaust biased split are horrible for tq building as evidence by your graph and many guys on here who report loss of low end and mileage.

Now many of us interested in performance arent too worried about mpg but figured it was worth mentioning.

Wide lsa and wide exhaust biased splits do not allow for building cylinder pressure at lower rpm because the exhaust valve is opening too early IMO. The reasons these types of grinds work so well with blower applications and in particular square/rectangle port is that the intake charge is being forced in so it doesnt need the same duration to equal out the duration of the exhaust lobe. Its like shortening the exhaust duration on an NA application. Cylinder pressure builds the power the you need to move these heavy trucks and keep them efficient.

There have been quite a few people run the times you did on a stock cam, while you did gain a good chunk mph wise what did your times do both 60' and 1/4?
As far as only gaining 40 rwhp, yes. For a $117 dollar cam...I think it's great.
Bang for the buck its hard to argue, but to me its not so much the cost of the actual cam but the labor to put it in. I do my own stuff and Id personally still rather pay more for the perfect cam to not have to tear my truck down again. Quite a few of the $350 VVT cams are showing 70+ hp gains and more gains down low across the board.

Basically if youre willing to spend another $200 you can get a much better suited cam that will deliver gains across the board and be much more efficient.

Like I said before, Im not trying to pick on you but last time you posted that thread about LS9 cam gains a bunch of people jumped on that bandwagon to be disappointed. I believe if you go into this cam knowing what to expect then you will probably be happy.