Notices
GMT 900 Trucks General Discussion 2007 - 2013 Trucks | General Discussion

AFM/DOD question

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2017, 02:33 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AFM/DOD question

I have an 07 Yukon with 146k miles and the lifter noise that most times drives me nuts. I turned off AFM/DOD almost a year ago (HP Tuners), but it was too late, the damage is already done.

At this point, we are only planning on keeping the vehicle another 2 years/50k miles.

I just want it to last that long and dont want to overspend for dod delete and have to swap cam.

If I have to replace the VLOM with OEM, then its cheaper to just do the delete. Can I replace 8 lifters with OEM lifters and change the valley cover to 4.8 valley cover and be done?

Been searching multiple sites for several days and sure would like to know the answer to this question.
Old 01-17-2017, 03:12 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 546 Likes on 472 Posts

Nope, you have to change the camshaft if you truely want it gone. The cam lobes on the DOD cam are different for the cylinders that shut off. Installing regular lifters will make it run rough and misfire.

The options are to buy more dod lifters to keep all the other parts the same or do the full delete. Buying DoD lifters will be the cheaper route.
Old 01-17-2017, 03:14 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by FFDP
Nope, you have to change the camshaft if you truely want it gone. The cam lobes on the DOD cam are different for the cylinders that shut off. Installing regular lifters will make it run rough and misfire.

The options are to buy more dod lifters to keep all the other parts the same or do the full delete. Buying DoD lifters will be the cheaper route.

Right. I understand if i put in ls7 lifters, then i would need a non-DOD cam.

What about if I just replace with DOD lifters, however, put a 4.8L valley cover in place of the VLOM. I already have AFM/DOD turned off via HP Tuners.
Old 01-17-2017, 03:58 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 546 Likes on 472 Posts

Buying the cover would just mean more money spent on nothing really. It doesn't matter if the dod/afm valley plate stays on the motor, you already have it shut off with the tune.
Old 01-17-2017, 04:56 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by FFDP
Buying the cover would just mean more money spent on nothing really. It doesn't matter if the dod/afm valley plate stays on the motor, you already have it shut off with the tune.
If I left my existing VLOM, there would be no chance of the solenoids failing and collapsing a lifter unintentionally?

That's why I was thinking of putting the 4.8 valley cover, no way it could fail and send oil to the lifter incorrectly.
Old 01-17-2017, 08:51 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by TX C5Z06 02
If I left my existing VLOM, there would be no chance of the solenoids failing and collapsing a lifter unintentionally?

That's why I was thinking of putting the 4.8 valley cover, no way it could fail and send oil to the lifter incorrectly.
It would be a good job if you had the possibility to change the DOD valley cover by a non-DOD, but if you do not have it as for being more expensive, you just have to put some plug to the DOD valley cover where it feeds of oil, Have more oil pressure throughout the rest of the engine, just as the tune is already disabled and will not be activated.

On the other hand, if you want to eliminate the DOD lifters, you should replace the DOD cam with a non-DOD, for your DOD lobes, and if you do not have to do all this, just replace the dod lifter that is bad and you need to remove the Crankcase and change the o-ring that is in the tube that sucks the oil where it is attached to the oil pump, this o-ring when it is bad, reduces the oil pressure causing that over time DOD lifters have problems and end Remaining pills