Notices
GMT 900 Trucks General Discussion 2007 - 2013 Trucks | General Discussion

6.2L Fuel Economy/Octane requirements

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2011, 12:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for all the replys folks, definetly makes me feel better about geting one now.

hey black where you at in laporte?
In Central fairmont, I don't live there currently but thats where my dad and my Iroc-z stays at the moment =)
Old 02-10-2011, 01:34 PM
KickinAssAndTakinNames

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i'll have to keep an eye out for it. im on collingswood in east fairmont
Old 02-11-2011, 03:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Why is everyone else getting such bad mileage? Lead foot disease?
Guess everyones city driving is a bit different. 60-65 23/24ish 70-75 21/22ish just flying thru traffic driving liken *** up 45N 17-18.
Old 02-11-2011, 04:14 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by BrutalSierra
Guess everyones city driving is a bit different. 60-65 23/24ish 70-75 21/22ish just flying thru traffic driving liken *** up 45N 17-18.
You're getting 24 mpg on a 6.2 in a CC with 20's with a Diablo tune? Is this per the dash display or you calculating at each fill up?
Old 02-11-2011, 04:32 PM
TECH Regular

Exclamation

Originally Posted by BrutalSierra
You need to recheck your math, my friend . . .

My DIC has always been at least .3 to .5 MPG high. Worse with any tune.

BEST I've ever gotten - hand calculated - was 17.5-ish driving from Houston to Mesquite (east of Dallas). Running 75-85 with the A/C running. At a steady 65 and NOT using cruise I can get around 20 . . .
Old 02-11-2011, 04:55 PM
TECH Regular

Octane - forgot about that part of the OP's post . . .

The 6.2s are engineered for 91+ octane fuel (and/or E85 for the '09s and newer).

Each time that the ECM detects more than approximately 6 gallons of fuel has been added to the tank, the software is written in such a way that it utilizes the high octane spark advance tables. Once a certain amount (or severity) of knock has been detected by the ECM, it then reverts to the low octane spark tables - until the next time that 6+ gallons of fuel is added to the tank.

I have NO idea what the knock "threshold" is that forces the ECM to use the low-octane spark tables, but that's how it operates.

The "low octane" spark tables WILL adversely affect your torque, power and economy!

EDIT - one more small tidbit concerning octane - some export 6.2s (bound for the middle east, IIRC) are factory tuned for 95 octane fuel, and factory rated at 443 HP!
Old 02-11-2011, 05:43 PM
14 Second Truck Club

Originally Posted by Lloyd-TX

EDIT - one more small tidbit concerning octane - some export 6.2s (bound for the middle east, IIRC) are factory tuned for 95 octane fuel, and factory rated at 443 HP!
Damn I need to et me one of those right there and start all over Lloyd! just kidding of course, maybe.

And hey all that other info was cool to learn also, no idea that they adjusted for the octane like that.
Old 02-11-2011, 05:53 PM
Man Motor club

Originally Posted by TX Tahoe Z71
The difference in economy will come from being tuned for the higher octane fuel by a custom tuner. Just filling up with 91 or 93 without a tune for it probably won't be a big difference. Just IMHO
Originally Posted by viciousknid
correct. you may notice SOME improvement with 91 but majority of the advantage is the ability to increase timing on the tune. Timing makes power. With the tune dialed in you are making the vehicle run more efficient which increases mileage at the same time.
Originally Posted by Lloyd-TX
Octane - forgot about that part of the OP's post . . .

The 6.2s are engineered for 91+ octane fuel (and/or E85 for the '09s and newer).

Each time that the ECM detects more than approximately 6 gallons of fuel has been added to the tank, the software is written in such a way that it utilizes the high octane spark advance tables. Once a certain amount (or severity) of knock has been detected by the ECM, it then reverts to the low octane spark tables - until the next time that 6+ gallons of fuel is added to the tank.

I have NO idea what the knock "threshold" is that forces the ECM to use the low-octane spark tables, but that's how it operates.

The "low octane" spark tables WILL adversely affect your torque, power and economy!

I'm glad somebody else noticed this, hopefully the OP is still reading. While the prior two posters were correct in their statements that a vehicle tuned for regular unleaded will gain nothing from premium, they missed the fact that the L92 trucks come from the factory tuned for 91+. Because of this, the computer will pull timing if a lower octane fuel is used, and power and efficiency will suffer.
Old 02-11-2011, 05:54 PM
TECH Regular

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by double047
And hey all that other info was cool to learn also, no idea that they adjusted for the octane like that.
Yep - I find out all this cool info, yet my dumba$$ can't do a thing with it, LOL!

Y'all have a great weekend!

And remember - the Nelson truck races @ SAR are only two short weeks away!!!
Old 02-11-2011, 05:59 PM
TECH Regular

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by rjwz28
I'm glad somebody else noticed this, hopefully the OP is still reading. While the prior two posters were correct in their statements that a vehicle tuned for regular unleaded will gain nothing from premium, they missed the fact that the L92 trucks come from the factory tuned for 91+. Because of this, the computer will pull timing if a lower octane fuel is used, and power and efficiency will suffer.
Well said!

Quick Reply: 6.2L Fuel Economy/Octane requirements