Notices
GMT 900 Trucks General Discussion 2007 - 2013 Trucks | General Discussion

'08 lowering at the dealership?

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2008, 02:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default '08 lowering at the dealership?

if i bought a 4"x6" drop before I buy the truck, take it to the dealership when I buy it, you think they would install it as part of the warrantied suspension?
Old 11-02-2008, 02:21 PM
TOWN CRIER

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I doubt they would warranty it and I'm certain they would charge you an arm and a leg to put it on. Your best bet is to find a local installer that work with that type of work and o that route.
Old 11-02-2008, 02:57 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Noah Burns
if i bought a 4"x6" drop before I buy the truck, take it to the dealership when I buy it, you think they would install it as part of the warrantied suspension?
no. even conversion add ons such as regency have to warranty there on parts. gm only warrantys there own parts.
Old 11-02-2008, 05:12 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The dealer where I bought my truck is happy to do aftermarket installs. The mechanics like the variety, and I usually co-ordinate work on Saturdays, which is a bit slower for them. I know if I have a problem, the only issue becomes parts quality, which the manufacturer is supposed to warranty. Not all dealers are created equally, but my guys are great. I think a shop with a good business sense would welcome the extra aftermarket work.
Old 11-02-2008, 05:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

how'd you end up in Canada from Texas bro?
Old 11-02-2008, 06:21 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by texas1964
The dealer where I bought my truck is happy to do aftermarket installs. The mechanics like the variety, and I usually co-ordinate work on Saturdays, which is a bit slower for them. I know if I have a problem, the only issue becomes parts quality, which the manufacturer is supposed to warranty. Not all dealers are created equally, but my guys are great. I think a shop with a good business sense would welcome the extra aftermarket work.

i thought his question was would it be part of the factory warranty? they will do whatever you need. but the cost will be much higher. but it will be warrantied at all by gm.
Old 11-02-2008, 07:28 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Noah Burns
how'd you end up in Canada from Texas bro?
A nickname from my mis-spent youth.
Old 11-02-2008, 07:41 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by EDawg
i thought his question was would it be part of the factory warranty? they will do whatever you need. but the cost will be much higher. but it will be warrantied at all by gm.
My dealer is not really much higher, I guess it depends where you go.

To answer the question more specifically, GM probably wont warranty it, but the service shop may and that is almost as good. The dealer is really as close as most of us get to dealing directly with GM anyway.
Old 11-02-2008, 08:11 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by texas1964
My dealer is not really much higher, I guess it depends where you go.

To answer the question more specifically, GM probably wont warranty it, but the service shop may and that is almost as good. The dealer is really as close as most of us get to dealing directly with GM anyway.
hmm....im the bodyshop director at the largest dealer in my area and that would be news to me. but maybe at a smaller dealer with less traffic they might just to bring people in the door. but if you moved, that warranty would only be good at that dealer. hope this helps.
Old 11-03-2008, 09:19 AM
Staging Lane

They might install it, but they wont warranty it. GM didn't make the parts that are on your drop, why would they replace it if it breaks? Not only that, but things like ball joints and stock front end geometry are sacraficed with dropped trucks, so they probably wouldnt warranty any suspension stuff either.

Quick Reply: '08 lowering at the dealership?