Notices
GMT 900 Trucks General Discussion 2007 - 2013 Trucks | General Discussion

07+ Battery

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2013, 07:26 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool

Dammit i just bought a red top optima ... Lets see how long dat bitch lasts lol ... But on the topic my factory battery died at scrapin the coast in 2011 and i was stuck buying a sears battery cause nuttin was open that sunday when my **** wouldnt crank.., bought the best one they had figured it was better than my factory one ..few weeks ago after finally getting my trans Swapped out I couldnt get it to crank or take a charge so i went bought the optima because it was 9pm on a weekend and i was not buying a cheap *** battery ... Thing is after a day or so with the optima it wouldnt crank .. I grabbed the grounds to recheck them and one was loose to the block..........so m not even sure if the sears battery is bad lol .. I didnt get it checked cause i just wanted to get a new one n and get it runnin to see if trans was good or not... but as soon as i get the damm truck going m going get the sears battery checked ... I really have no luck lately lol....
Old 05-05-2013, 07:34 PM
TECH Regular

Cool

Over $220 with taxes for red top optima her in Sth Louisiana at Advance Auto Parts or Autozone .. Gunna **** me off if i dont get much out of it
Old 05-06-2013, 10:36 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by bigdaddy1969
over $220 with taxes for red top optima her in sth louisiana at advance auto parts or autozone .. Gunna **** me off if i dont get much out of it
Yeowtch!
Old 05-06-2013, 11:25 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by AUTOT3K
I haven't had any issues yet, but this is definitely the weakest battery I've had to date.
if I sit with the radio on, no lights just waiting on the woman, within 5 minutes I get the "low battery start engine" chime, I've done a few AVR tests and it barely passes. this past winter a few mornings I was doubting it was gonna start and it cranked pretty slow.
its my factory battery, 3 years old.

I had good luck with a red top in my s10 I purchased that in maybe 05? and it lasted 2 vehicles right up until I sold the truck. sounds like you guys are saying optima aint what it used to be? that's a shame.

ZEAUSE- that battery you mentioned, is it the "mega tron" ? I went on the interstate batteries site and it only lists 1 for my year of truck.

RS/SS 4.8- whats the P/N on that yellow top? i'm only finding a red top listing
NNBS take a mtp-48/h6 some people run mt-91 or mtp-91. The new ones we have out to compete with the optima batteries are the mt-7. Theyre only available in a few sizes like the optimas right now. We sell optimas too and the lowest priced place to get an optima around here is sams club. Here is the new mt-7 though.

Interstate Batteries Results Page - Automotive / Truck
Old 05-07-2013, 01:52 AM
TECH Resident

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

my 08 and my 12 both the start vehicle message would go on after 10min. never killed one. My 08 was still fine. Both of them also dim the lights for a second and it sounds like a relay clicking off and on when I slow down. So I figured it was normal.
Old 05-07-2013, 11:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by zeause
NNBS take a mtp-48/h6 some people run mt-91 or mtp-91. The new ones we have out to compete with the optima batteries are the mt-7. Theyre only available in a few sizes like the optimas right now. We sell optimas too and the lowest priced place to get an optima around here is sams club. Here is the new mt-7 though.

Interstate Batteries Results Page - Automotive / Truck
thanks for the link man, that's a pretty steap price at $250! I would sure hope it out performs the optima haha
I'm gonna check locally on that MT7 and see what the costs are
Old 05-07-2013, 11:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

what is everyones drive times normally?
I'm just thinking maybe the shorter trips aren't helping our situations?

my work is only about 3 minutes from home, but I let the truck idle for a few minutes before leaving and then I tour around warming it up so my morning and home drives are only about 20 minutes and maybe 8 miles of varying rpm of 1000-2500
Old 05-07-2013, 11:57 PM
TECH Apprentice

One thing about batteries is how well the store is taking care of the ones in stock. They probably didn't charge them fully or properly, not keeping up on the charge of old batteries, leaving them on concrete floors, letting them freeze, etc.

Every battery I buy now gets a a few hours or overnight trickle charging before i install it...unless I don't have the time. I've had more luck with them since taking the extra step to prevent wasting my money on stupid shops and their lazy workers.
Old 05-08-2013, 12:06 AM
TECH Regular

Cool

Originally Posted by AUTOT3K
what is everyones drive times normally?
I'm just thinking maybe the shorter trips aren't helping our situations?

my work is only about 3 minutes from home, but I let the truck idle for a few minutes before leaving and then I tour around warming it up so my morning and home drives are only about 20 minutes and maybe 8 miles of varying rpm of 1000-2500
45-60 min drive depending one way on traffic .. I get good charge erryday
Old 05-08-2013, 12:07 AM
TECH Regular

Cool

Originally Posted by Koots
One thing about batteries is how well the store is taking care of the ones in stock. They probably didn't charge them fully or properly, not keeping up on the charge of old batteries, leaving them on concrete floors, letting them freeze, etc.

Every battery I buy now gets a a few hours or overnight trickle charging before i install it...unless I don't have the time. I've had more luck with them since taking the extra step to prevent wasting my money on stupid shops and their lazy workers.
This i believe also .... I just never bought a battery charger

Quick Reply: 07+ Battery