Notices
GMT 800 & Older GM General Discussion 2006 & Older Trucks | General Discussion

WTF is up with my truck??? Video inside

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2011, 06:37 AM
TECH Resident

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

damn!!!!! I hate electronic trouble shooting. If it were my truck I would check all Grounds, then all connections to the ECM. Check the wires going to the back of your alternator....make sure they are clean and tight. That makes me think to check the cable running from the back of your alt to the power block. Im not positive but I think its a fusible link. Check to make sure it’s still good with an ohm or continuity meter. Also check and make sure the power block going to the battery is tight. That’s all I can think of right off the top of my head.

Subscribing.......
Old 04-06-2011, 10:38 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It didn't do this until last night after I connected the battery. I've heard it could be just the pcm relearning mixed with possibly a bad ground
Old 04-06-2011, 07:21 PM
TECH Addict

Well the truck died on me at a stoplight on the way to school. Put it in park and fired her back and and held the brakes with one foot while lightly pressing the gas to stay around 750rpms.

Went and picked up some food at lunch and sat in the parking lot at school, truck idling for about 15 minutes with A/C on full blast. No rpm dip, no hiccups, no nothing. :bang head:

After school let out, headed to work with my bass all the way up. Sitting at stoplights and parkinglot at work, no rpm dips, no hiccups.

WTF?!?!

I'll check grounds later tonight if I feel like it. I really am wanting to get it tuned this week, but idk if It will be able to load into my PCM if the OBDII port is screwed up still.
Old 04-06-2011, 08:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Im going to go ahead and go out on a limb and say thats not normal

if it keeps happening. I'd check what scooby said about the alternator connections, because the rpm dip situation
Old 04-06-2011, 09:16 PM
11 Second Club

here is something to check. when I replaced the transmission in my 00 Silverado i missed a ground wire on the back of the passanger head. the wire broke off the connector and my gauges would act up. I put a new ring terminal on the wire and grounded it and havnt had an issue since.
Old 04-06-2011, 09:49 PM
On The Tree

I would have to second the ignition switch going. What happens is over time the contacts in the switch build up carbon from the arcing that happens as the contacts contact each other.

Is the clock resetting when this happens? If not, that usually rules out battery cables. Not always, but usually.
Old 04-06-2011, 09:51 PM
TECH Addict

no clock reset, so that isn't the issue. Still haven't checked any grounds yet. If you guys would read my post from earlier, I said the rpm dip has stopped, but the OBDII port still isn\t transmitting data
Old 04-06-2011, 09:54 PM
On The Tree

You may have two different problems. Look at the terminals in the obd port and see if they look spread open. Compare them to your fathers truck since that works correctly. They're probably open causing no connection.
Old 04-06-2011, 10:32 PM
TECH Addict

I checked all the underhood wiring and all seemed to be tight. I looked under the dash and instantly got confused at what in the hell i was looking for. I'll check the way the pins look against my dad's. The pins are in the right slots though. Remember, the gauge worked for a short time before it stopped working correctly on my truck
Old 04-07-2011, 07:43 AM
11 Second Club

Run through both fuse boxes and check all fuses. A fuse blew on my dads 05 and caused the obd2 port to not work. Hope this helps

Quick Reply: WTF is up with my truck??? Video inside