Notices
GMT 800 & Older GM General Discussion 2006 & Older Trucks | General Discussion

WTF is up with this fuel pump?

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2009, 09:22 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default WTF is up with this fuel pump?

Okay this fueling issue is a freaking headache. First I install the bosch 044 intake pump and run it and the fuel pressure ran like 60 and would drop like crazy if i even got on it.So then I saw that the pump was sitting on the bottom of the tank so i pulled it up some and ran 10gauge wire all around with a relay running power from the back of the alternator. So then 69 psi when i got on it 63 psi drop. So I think i'm fine yesterday I go to the freaking track and the damn thing is droping to 40 ish I'm running lean as hell and come home crying LOLJ/k. These are the things I'm thinking 2.5hr drive to track and 1.5 hr drive with 1/4 tank or less. Pump may of got hot and didn't feel like working right. either because my gauge my be off some and it was not getting enough gas. Or because I ran it for so long and just got hot. at the track I notice it was only at 66 psi after the fist run. So this morning I got up and was going to try a few things it had 3/4 tank. So I went out and got on it damn thing kept 69psi and only droped to 63psi at WOT. WTF????? Will moving the power from the back of the altenator to the battery help anything? Or could it of been that I didn't have enough gas. Or did the thing just get hot over time...?
Old 01-05-2009, 09:59 AM
Moderately Differentiated

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

wow. I assume we are talking about a return system right? Just making sure. I would doubt the heat would make it run funny. If you were starving it of gas you would of sputtered when it tried get fuel but got nothing. Overheating a pump will kill it for sure, but I doubt you should see the ill effects of that so quickly. (unless it was unsubmerged for the 2 hours of driving)

Simple stuff? filter? fpr? (assuming return style) Is your FP guage electric (with a sender)? If so, have you bought yourself a cheap fp gauge and tested the rail during the wot runs? Tape the gauge to the window and watch the pressure at the rail. (I had a bad sender one time, that was how I figured it out)

Last but not least, voltage. Insure you are keeping 12volts at the pump. LIke me, I am having issues with voltage drop for some reason. Well, that will certainly cause pressure to drop. Start off at 14 volts and at 4K rpm it starts to dip to 11volts will cause an issue.

Your #10awg wire upgrade, me personally, I would not put that on the alt positive spot. Put it under the fuse box (under the hood, drivers side), on one of the larger open terminals. That's just me, get that away from the generator side of things. it could be affecting things. doubt it, but ya never know.
Old 01-05-2009, 10:07 AM
Baltimore Whore

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have to agree with DEW. I have been the king of fucked up fuel systems, well maybe not the king but my share LMAO.. I would check again to BE SURE IT ISN"T on the bottom of the tank. What filter/sock did they give you with it???. Mine turned out the sock walked its way up the fitting, was restricting the **** out fuel.. Would work sometimes.. Also did you winde up running the 10g to the stock pins???

Last edited by Mangled03gmc; 01-05-2009 at 10:17 AM.
Old 01-05-2009, 10:14 AM

Originally Posted by Mangled03gmc
Also did you winde up running the 10g to the stock pins???
he says he hit the alternator terminal.
Originally Posted by NegraRCSB2X4auto
and ran 10gauge wire all around with a relay running power from the back of the alternator.
Old 01-05-2009, 10:17 AM
Baltimore Whore

Originally Posted by dewmanshu
he says he hit the alternator terminal.

I mean, to the factory pump connectors
Old 01-05-2009, 10:49 AM
TECH Fanatic

I mean, to the factory pump connectors
Yes I ran the 10 gauge in the factory pump connectors. Too
Old 01-05-2009, 10:53 AM
TECH Fanatic

I have to agree with DEW. I have been the king of fucked up fuel systems, well maybe not the king but my share LMAO.. I would check again to BE SURE IT ISN"T on the bottom of the tank. What filter/sock did they give you with it???. Mine turned out the sock walked its way up the fitting, was restricting the **** out fuel.. Would work sometimes.. Also did you winde up running the 10g to the stock pins???
I'm not running a filter sock I want to make sure it's running right with out it first.
Old 01-05-2009, 10:58 AM

tanks have crud in them. Even some sludge. maybe you already "slurried" the new pump?
Old 01-05-2009, 11:03 AM
Baltimore Whore

Originally Posted by NegraRCSB2X4auto
I'm not running a filter sock I want to make sure it's running right with out it first.
Hmmmm very poss if it was on the bottom, you sucked up **** in it then, the pump may be hurt.. I ran with out a sock for a few weeks, a few days before I put a new one on my FP gauge started acting goofy, still is, constantly jumping all over the place.. But it is still running good, holding good FP, based on where the needle is jumping to, my AFR readings.. I would change filters again for a start
Old 01-05-2009, 11:15 AM
TECH Fanatic

wow. I assume we are talking about a return system right? Just making sure.
no
I would doubt the heat would make it run funny. If you were starving it of gas you would of sputtered when it tried get fuel but got nothing. Overheating a pump will kill it for sure, but I doubt you should see the ill effects of that so quickly. (unless it was unsubmerged for the 2 hours of driving)
The truck was sputtering when it was doing this and the wideband would read lean and psi was at 40 I had my brother with me on a run I watched the fuel psi he watched the wideband and I would let out when I'd see the drop or went below above 12.5. The truck never had more than half a tank so the pump was not completely submerged the whole time.

Simple stuff? filter? fpr? (assuming return style) Is your FP guage electric (with a sender)? If so, have you bought yourself a cheap fp gauge and tested the rail during the wot runs? Tape the gauge to the window and watch the pressure at the rail. (I had a bad sender one time, that was how I figured it out)
I doubt its that because when my pressure droped is when I went lean and when the truck sputtered down the track.

Last but not least, voltage. Insure you are keeping 12volts at the pump. LIke me, I am having issues with voltage drop for some reason. Well, that will certainly cause pressure to drop. Start off at 14 volts and at 4K rpm it starts to dip to 11volts will cause an issue.

Your #10awg wire upgrade, me personally, I would not put that on the alt positive spot. Put it under the fuse box (under the hood, drivers side), on one of the larger open terminals. That's just me, get that away from the generator side of things. it could be affecting things. doubt it, but ya never know.
I'll try relocating it there.

I kept it returnless just ran it through the stock regulator and filter. I'm hard headed I guess but if it was the filter or regulator why would it work sometimes? Also it ran fine with the stock pump other than droping to 50psi but never went lean. I want to make sure this is not going to work before i dump more money on this piece. I was hoping I was finished with mods.

Quick Reply: WTF is up with this fuel pump?