Notices
GMT 800 & Older GM General Discussion 2006 & Older Trucks | General Discussion

whats the trick to make a cam sensor stop leaking?

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2020, 09:33 PM
100% Redneck

Received 1,331 Likes on 793 Posts

Just to be clear that's the oil level sensor with the blue plug.

V V Crank sensor V V

Old 12-21-2020, 09:37 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by RedXray
Just to be clear that's the oil level sensor with the blue plug.

V V Crank sensor V V

Yes that's right thanks. It appears you just have to take the starter off to replace the crank sensor? I was thinking you had to take the whole transmission off and it was inside the bellhousing.
Old 12-21-2020, 10:17 PM
100% Redneck

Yes one bolt & plug above the starter to swap the crank sensor
Old 12-22-2020, 10:31 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 103 Likes on 74 Posts

Nothing worse than oil leaks. Could be like my 04... leak starts about half way back on the oil pan, only the pan is wet (nothing on the block including the panrail ) and only leaks while driving. You can sit and idle it all day and it stays dry lol. Everything is new on the engine except the oilpan is some junkyard special I cleaned up and powdercoated... going to just change and pan lol.
Old 12-22-2020, 11:33 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 257 Likes on 215 Posts

You took the cam sensor out and put thread sealer on it??????

Take it back out and put a new one in it. Thread sealer is for threads. Not o rings. And you're not going to be able to see the o ring being bad. It's just gonna look like an o ring, and still leak. Put a new one in it.
The following users liked this post:
03sierraslt (12-23-2020)
Old 12-22-2020, 03:18 PM
100% Redneck

Originally Posted by 1994Vmax
Nothing worse than oil leaks. Could be like my 04... leak starts about half way back on the oil pan, only the pan is wet (nothing on the block including the panrail ) and only leaks while driving. You can sit and idle it all day and it stays dry lol. Everything is new on the engine except the oilpan is some junkyard special I cleaned up and powdercoated... going to just change and pan lol.
When I first built the LQ9 I had a tiny leak that mimicked the rear seal. Inside the bellhousing inspection cap there was just a titch of oil film. Sometimes it wouldn't leave a drip on the floor for a week or so. Fast forward... pulling the oil pan to swap the crank gear for a new timing set when I did the PRC heads. Resealed the pan in the corners and that fixed the drip.

During the original assembly I was probably a little to conservative with the RTV in the corners
Old 12-22-2020, 05:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 103 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by RedXray
When I first built the LQ9 I had a tiny leak that mimicked the rear seal. Inside the bellhousing inspection cap there was just a titch of oil film. Sometimes it wouldn't leave a drip on the floor for a week or so. Fast forward... pulling the oil pan to swap the crank gear for a new timing set when I did the PRC heads. Resealed the pan in the corners and that fixed the drip.

During the original assembly I was probably a little to conservative with the RTV in the corners
I could see that being maddening. I am hoping this pan is cracked somewhere ,which is, at this point at least, what it looks like. It's only the passenger side and the leak starts on the oil pan below the pan rail of the block just ahead of the sump. I was hoping oil pan gasket or maybe a rogue main cap side bolt but that's all dry unfortunately. It blows back and makes other stuff wet of course but that's the fun and games.

Don't worry though... I convinced myself it was my oil pressure sending unit with a shoddy inspection camera and pulled my supercharger for nothing more than practice of reinstallation lol.
Old 12-23-2020, 03:17 PM
TECH Apprentice

So I put thread sealer on the oil pressure sensor, not crank or cam sensor. I just struggled for hours trying to get my starter off and for whatever reason something is keeping it from pulling itself forward enough to get it out from the bellhousing. I pulled the fender liner and tire and tried from the side too and no luck, but when I pulled the fender liner off and looked through I can see the crank sensor and it looks dry as it can be? Also the oil line forming on the block looks like it is below the crank sensor:

I would think if the crank sensor was leaking past the o-ring, it would be wet with oil all up under it?

So maybe I need to put the starter back on and start trying to get to the cam sensor again? I feel like I am going to have to take the exhaust manifold off to get the starter out. I tried pushing on the electrical line and prying every which way and there is just something stuck holding it back.
Old 12-23-2020, 05:21 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 257 Likes on 215 Posts

Sorry man, I don't know how I read that wrong.

I would still do a cam sensor. The oil sending units commonly fail, but they almost never leak. The old school gm ones did in the v6's, but the LS oil senders aren't really an issue with leaking. The cam sensor is extremely common to leak though on gen 3's. You mentioned something about gen 4 cam sensors.. yes they are on the front. But you said you have an LQ9, which is a gen 3 and yes the cam sensor is right next to the oil pressure sending unit. One bolt holds it in, should be 10mm
Old 12-23-2020, 05:53 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 00pooterSS
Sorry man, I don't know how I read that wrong.

I would still do a cam sensor. The oil sending units commonly fail, but they almost never leak. The old school gm ones did in the v6's, but the LS oil senders aren't really an issue with leaking. The cam sensor is extremely common to leak though on gen 3's. You mentioned something about gen 4 cam sensors.. yes they are on the front. But you said you have an LQ9, which is a gen 3 and yes the cam sensor is right next to the oil pressure sending unit. One bolt holds it in, should be 10mm
Thanks for the info, I am going to try to pull the intake manifold and check it tonight. I wonder if anyone has been able to duplicate the size of the o-ring to replace it? I don't think there is anything wrong with the sensor itself.

Quick Reply: whats the trick to make a cam sensor stop leaking?