Notices
GMT 800 & Older GM General Discussion 2006 & Older Trucks | General Discussion

What do you use to lube your power windows?

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2005, 01:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

they did it when they installed my alarm. the alarm rols down the windows and rolls them up when it is armed. they also run new wires to the door so that the one touch windows work on both doors. we basically ran another wire like you would to an amp but ran it to the windows. also the new wires going to the door are bigger also. so i am prety sure it is not a power issue because my driver window still stops some times. i want to say it is a combination of the regulators and the window binding up in the track(rubber).
Old 04-05-2005, 01:28 PM
Teching In

Installing a larger gauge wire will work only if there's a significant voltage drop. That can only happen if it's undersized to begin with (& I seriously doubt it was designed that way) or the wires in the circuit have been damaged. In any case, find out the voltage making it to the motor before doing anything else. (lubricate the regulator, etc. anyway)

I have an '02 and just finished replacing the power window assembly in the driver's side door. For some reason, the regulator's steel cable snapped. It appears that the combination of corrosion and binding may have cause the break. (maybe if it was a stainless steel cable to begin with...)

Anyway, the rails on the new regulator came pre-greased.

It distrubs me to hear that the newer trucks are still having problems. The GM parts guy told me that they used to sell a lot of power window regulators but that the volume has gone down. Made me think GM fixed a possible design/materials problem. Sounds like maybe they haven't...

What's certain is that the new '02 regulator (have the newer ones changed?) looks identical to the stock one. The motor looks slightly different and seems to run quieter but that's the only difference I've noticed.

If GM's power window regulators are weak, they haven't issued a TSB or recall. Maybe we should start a poll. At $330 - $350 retail, these things aren't cheap...
Old 04-05-2005, 01:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

I paid 250 for mine installed. Id like to see a recall on the windows, maybe get some money back.
Old 04-05-2005, 02:01 PM
Teching In

$250 installed IS a good deal. The GM dealership I bought the truck from quoted me $330 for the part plus $80 to install it. I choked at that so I asked my retired-GM-contact to buy it for me (wholesale) and I installed it myself. The only other expense was the blood I spilled when I sliced my fingers on the sharp sheetmetal of the door... (got to get in the habit of wearing work gloves!)

If these window regulators are breaking as often as the tailgate cables, GM should issue a recall on them too. But wait; It's not a 'Safety' issue - just a PITA...
Old 04-05-2005, 02:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

some one needs to figure out what we have to do to get the damn things to work correct. for instance i hate to say it but you get into a ford and the damn things haul *** and work like that for years.
Old 04-05-2005, 02:30 PM
TECH Resident

You do not want to use silicone as it needs to be reapplied often and will also break down any rubber items in the window if any.

Try to use a heavy grease, or even better graphite lube common for mountain bikers and RC cars.
Old 04-05-2005, 02:56 PM
TECH Regular

wow, definatly though my p-side window was so dirty it slowed it down. right after i clean my windows real good i dont notice it as much. but when i roll up both my windows at the same time, my drivers side beats the pside by a second maybe. definte pita.
Old 04-05-2005, 06:02 PM
TECH Regular

I've already had my pass side regulator replaced under warranty and mine is only an '04. And the window is starting to slow down again already.
Old 04-05-2005, 06:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

hmmmmmmx i think lube is our best bet here then, i might try white lithium grease this w/e if i get around to it

but today it's been 70's and hardly and issue and my tranny c-member stopped ratteling when it got warm too
Old 04-05-2005, 09:26 PM
Tin Foil Hat Wearin' Fool

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Running a wire directly from the battery to the motor only helped on my truck for the alarm cause i can roll the up and down with the truck off. When the truck is on they are still slow so i would not recommend the larger gauge wire.

Oh yeah gm power windows suck the windows in my dads superduty haul *** and have been for almost 7 years.

Quick Reply: What do you use to lube your power windows?