Notices
GMT 800 & Older GM General Discussion 2006 & Older Trucks | General Discussion

Turbo 5.3 vs duramax

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2007, 02:05 PM
Tin Foil Hat Wearin' Fool

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Im going to a diesel, I wish I would have from the very beginning. What these guys advocating gas engines fail to say is that you can still use the quick dmax for anything you want. The EFI tunes can be backed down for towing or whatever. Its not to say you cant do that with a turbo gas motor but when you detune the gas motor it gets hit harder since you started off with a much weaker platform to begin with. A ccsb 4wd dmax with the trans upgraded, a decent efi tune, lift pumps, and exhaust(about 6K in mods total a little less if you can put the trans kit in yourself) will run a mid to high 12 second pass then hook up to a 44ft float and two three vehicles home. Not to mention the dmax can live with higher power numbers for longer. A stock gas motor with decent boost isnt going to last, it has been proven time and again on here no matter how good the tune is. Dan, Im going to guess you have probably an ecsb Z71, thats what i have and in order to get a mid 12 pass with a 5.3 is going to take 10#s of boost, trans/converter, tune, beef up the rear end at the least swap the G80 out, all the bells and whistles to go with boost. At that point you are at 10K worth of ****, you could put that into a dmaxand run low 11s. Now you have a higher price to start with for a dmax for sure, but IMO you are getting a nicer truck that you can do more with. If you arent going to tow or anything I would stick with the gasser and beef up your longblock when it blows. Me personally I tow a trailer load of 4wheelers all the time and once I get the dmax and get a gooseneck hitch put in Ill be pulling a 40ft float with 10 4wheelers on it with all the extra gear needed in the bed. So to me its worth having the towing ability and the stoutness of the dmax driveline is awesome. You can run a conservative tune, and exhaust and run mid to low 13s with nothing else done except tie rod sleeves to keep from bending them from all the TQ of a 4hi launch. So for 1K you can have a 13 second dmax, sounds like a good return on your investment

You have to remember you are going to get VERY baised opinions on here since it is predominantly a gasser board, go over to dieselplace.com and do some research like I did. Thats what made me finally decide to get one, the simplicity of running quick is so easy with a dmax, its just the initial price point of getting into one. Another big reason for me wanting one is I wanted a crew cab truck with a normal sized bed so I could have a tool box and still carry a 4hwheeler in the bed, with the 1/2 cc that short *** bed wouldnt work for me.

A good tune and exhaust dmax can get 22 on the highway

You need to decide how much money you have to spend and go from there. I have been on here a long time and have seen tons of people go to the smoker side, I will be one in about 6 months
Old 11-04-2007, 02:34 PM
Mr. Obvious

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

off topic but,1slow01z71, how are you fitting a fullsized toolbox and a 4wheeler in 6.5ft. short bed? i have to take my toolbox out to fit a 4wheeler in my bed in order to close the tailgate, im sure you could fit both in there if it was either a longbed or you left the taligate down, but you cant leave the tailgate down and tow a trailer at the same time.

on topic, 1slow01z71 is right, the dmax has amazing mod potential, only thing is the initial cost of the truck, but you get a nicer truck usually. also, depending on where you are, diesel vehicles are emissions-exempt. diesels get better fuel mileage as a tow vehicle than a gasser too. i think that diesel performance is what will be next, and i think gm is seeing that because a 1500series truck w/ a 4.5L duramax is to be released around 2012 or sooner.

dieselplace is THE place to research the dmax at

btw, my dad has a dmax and evertime he lets me drive it i want one so bad
Old 11-04-2007, 02:37 PM
How do I change this text

I have not had to follow a radlle trap of any kind. I've raced some pretty modded up ***-a-parts and dura-trashes........
Old 11-04-2007, 03:07 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Wilde Racing
I have not had to follow a radlle trap of any kind. I've raced some pretty modded up ***-a-parts and dura-trashes........
Ya, and you have 4 broken pistons to PROVE it!
Old 11-04-2007, 03:12 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well 11.41 at 119 is going to walk a LOT of things, not just a diesel truck.

I always thought the intial investment was a lot more also, but after looking into it I think it is pretty much the same thing. Buy a truck with 650 lbs of torque and a turbo already installed, or buy a gasser and throw a turbo on it and TRY to make 650 lbs of torque.

1slow- I have a CCSB Z71 btw
Old 11-04-2007, 03:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We have a CC 4x4 duramax that runs out at our track. He runs consistent 11.6@118 in the 1/4 mile with his sled pulling tune.

I'm buying a 2500 duramax because i have to pull a gooseneck trailer.
Old 11-04-2007, 03:23 PM
single digit dreamer

spend the same total money on a gaser as a diesel and the gaser will be faster and more fun to drive. the diesel will be more usefull if you need to tow some heavy stuff. it's all in what you want/need but dont go thinking it is cheap or easy to make an 11sec deisel truck.
Old 11-04-2007, 03:35 PM

Originally Posted by nightrunner
off topic but,1slow01z71, how are you fitting a fullsized toolbox and a 4wheeler in 6.5ft. short bed? i have to take my toolbox out to fit a 4wheeler in my bed in order to close the tailgate, im sure you could fit both in there if it was either a longbed or you left the taligate down, but you cant leave the tailgate down and tow a trailer at the same time.
Tailgate down, and I can tow the 20 ft low boy my buddy has with the tailgate down because the jack has been moved back to the railing, and also my dmax will be lifted slightly so the jack will still be under the tailgate. Not my first rodeo

If I was going for all out speed of course I would go gas but, if I wanted quick, reliable and utility, diesel all the way, thats exactly why Im going diesel.
Old 11-04-2007, 03:40 PM

Originally Posted by dan96z71
Well 11.41 at 119 is going to walk a LOT of things, not just a diesel truck.

I always thought the intial investment was a lot more also, but after looking into it I think it is pretty much the same thing. Buy a truck with 650 lbs of torque and a turbo already installed, or buy a gasser and throw a turbo on it and TRY to make 650 lbs of torque.

1slow- I have a CCSB Z71 btw
The thing you need to remember is even if the power numbers match up at teh rear wheels the dmax is still ALOT heavier. But if you want to run real fast and last with a gas motor it needs to be built, whereas with a dmax it can take alot of abuse before you need to do internal work.

The truck I will be purchasing will run me 39K out the door, I plan on doing a mild tune and exhaust for a while and run that which will put me up to 40K total in mods. That will net me a nice truck pretty much fully loaded without leather and the entertainment group that can run mid 13s, look good and reliable, thats what attracts me so much to the diesel. For a 1/2ton ccsb it will cost you 32Kish out the door for a comparably equipped truck to what Im getting then you add in turbo, built trans, and the misc other stuff you need yu are getting damn close to 40K again. Just the way I see, opinions are going to vary widely on this subject obviously, just depends exactly on what you are looking ot get out of the truck.
Old 11-04-2007, 03:47 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

What get me is the guys that want a performance truck, but they dont buy the biggest engine availible, and get a tall gear.And then there are those who on top of that toss on some giant tire and wonder why it takes so much to go fast.

Quick Reply: Turbo 5.3 vs duramax