Notices
GMT 800 & Older GM General Discussion 2006 & Older Trucks | General Discussion

Throttle Body Cable Frayed...

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2011, 11:38 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Throttle Body Cable Frayed...

Yesterday I was driving my truck and noticed the throttle was really hard to push down. At first I didn't notice it and thought I was running out of gas so I luckily pulled into a gas station and took the air intake off and saw that the throttle body would get stuck half way open when I would work the pedal in and out and then let off it completely. I looked down at the cable where it connects to the pedal and it is frayed pretty bad for about an inch of it. I took the cable off the throttle body blade to check that the throttle body is not gummed up, and it is completely fine, so it is definitely the cable

My question is does anyone know a part number for this? I wanted to go to the dealer today and see if I could get a replacement. It's for my '99 OBS Tahoe. Also any tips on how to get the cable out of the firewall? I've tried messing with it with a flat head screwdriver, but don't want to break anything. Thanks for the help.
Old 02-25-2011, 12:16 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Looking up the part number is the parts guys job - let them do it. That shouldn't stop you from checking with them if it is still available. Just go do it.

Once you get the new cable, you should be able to determine how best to remove the old one.
Old 02-25-2011, 01:34 PM
PT's Slowest Truck

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Probably not a stock item, I'll bet that they'll have to order it...as for replacement, when I replace throttle, hood, trunk, etc. style cables, I usually figure out which direction will work best (pulling under hood or into cab), then attach the new cable to the old one, either with electrical tape or a zip tie or something, then use the old cable to pull the new one through.
Old 02-25-2011, 02:20 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by budhayes3
Probably not a stock item, I'll bet that they'll have to order it...as for replacement, when I replace throttle, hood, trunk, etc. style cables, I usually figure out which direction will work best (pulling under hood or into cab), then attach the new cable to the old one, either with electrical tape or a zip tie or something, then use the old cable to pull the new one through.
Good tip, thanks man.

The part number is 15734512 if anybody is interested...