Notices
GMT 800 & Older GM General Discussion 2006 & Older Trucks | General Discussion

Takin off bed, who's done it & ...?

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2011, 09:29 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TXsilverado
i went out of town last weekend and broke down in the street at 5:00am in the rain. pulled the bed in a big lots parking lot with 2 guys and replaced the fuel pump assembly and put it back to gether. all of this was in the rain. talking bout a shitty day.
Geez... and I bitched and complained about having to change a tire in the rain....
Old 09-10-2011, 11:43 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i went out of town last weekend and broke down in the street at 5:00am in the rain. pulled the bed in a big lots parking lot with 2 guys and replaced the fuel pump assembly and put it back to gether. all of this was in the rain. talking bout a shitty day.
You musta drove pretty damn far to find rain!
Old 09-10-2011, 03:29 PM

Received 222 Likes on 148 Posts

it rained in galveston last weekend. only 1.5 hrs from home but it was nice to see wet **** fall from the sky. i wish it went further north though.
Old 09-10-2011, 04:06 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

it rained in galveston last weekend. only 1.5 hrs from home but it was nice to see wet **** fall from the sky. i wish it went further north though.
10-four
Old 09-11-2011, 09:16 AM
Hunt&Fisherator

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

I just tilt the bed. I've never needed to do anything that required the bed to come completely off. I can remove all the driver side bolts, loosen the pass side, take the filler neck loose and the wiring from the back... I normally don't use anything to pick the bed up with... I grab the fenderwell and pick it up, and stick my longass prybar between the bed and frame and do what I have to do.... I've done this by myself a dozen times at least haha.
Old 09-11-2011, 10:56 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by offroadrider12
It must be nice to live in an area where your truck doesn't rust to hell. I guarantee if I tried to remove the bed bolts on my truck they'd break apart from rust or be stuck.

I guess that's why I've always just dropped the tank.
That's not me, I assure you. The body is fine, frame has surface rust, esp. where the wax **** GM uses is absent. :nunchuk1:

Originally Posted by f4tal
No special wrenches needed. I've done it with 3 people before, the easiest though is to get a hoist and tow/rachet strap the loops in the 4 corners.
I used a flathead and hammer to pop the little ring that holds the pump in. The worst part is using a dremel to grind/cut down the snout so the pump goes in and the sock fits on. Pretty easy deal i thought.
OK, that's what I was thinkin w/o seing it yet. I figured it was like that where a screwdriver or a flat brass drift could pound off ring so it doesn't "potentially" spark. Hopefully it comes off smooth.

Originally Posted by black04
brb going to weigh my bed on the bathroom scale

I just use an engine hoist with straps. Me and my friend lifted his bed off his truck just the two of us but it was pretty heavy with just two people and i would not want to do it again.
Just curious, so, how much did yours weigh?
Old 09-11-2011, 03:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That does not sound fun at all
Old 09-11-2011, 06:47 PM
TECH Regular

That's not me, I assure you. The body is fine, frame has surface rust, esp. where the wax **** GM uses is absent.
I guess I just assume rust is normal since I live in Michigan. I envy all of you who don't live where you have road salt. I should post a pic to show how bad mine is. It's

PS Fastnblu your truck is gorgeous. I'm liking the stance and the color. 2/4 drop?
Old 09-12-2011, 08:06 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by offroadrider12
I guess I just assume rust is normal since I live in Michigan. I envy all of you who don't live where you have road salt. I should post a pic to show how bad mine is. It's

PS Fastnblu your truck is gorgeous. I'm liking the stance and the color. 2/4 drop?
As do I.

Thanks. Yes 2/4.
Old 09-13-2011, 02:44 PM

Received 222 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by silver-mod-o
I just tilt the bed. I've never needed to do anything that required the bed to come completely off. I can remove all the driver side bolts, loosen the pass side, take the filler neck loose and the wiring from the back... I normally don't use anything to pick the bed up with... I grab the fenderwell and pick it up, and stick my longass prybar between the bed and frame and do what I have to do.... I've done this by myself a dozen times at least haha.
i wonder if i can do that with my fuel cell???

Quick Reply: Takin off bed, who's done it & ...?