Notices
GMT 800 & Older GM General Discussion 2006 & Older Trucks | General Discussion

Which Tail Lights do you Like Best

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2007, 10:00 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i like the stockers too but the smooth look of the led's and the illumintation sold me. not to mention since they are smoked anyway there isnt much to them

here is a thread i started

well i got this set of led taillights about 2-3 weeks ago and ive had some problems with them but they were all self created. first i tried to smoke them with the spray tint( nite shades ) and this product isnt as good as i thought it was with the taillights ive done lately . it doesent spray fine enough with the spray can so i figured a way to make my own with real paint. any how after some testing this is the way ive been doing smoked tail lights from here on out. so the first time i coated them with candy apple red then two coats of smoke then two coats of good clear. when they were finished i really wasnt happy with them so i took two days of sanding( about 7-8 hours) with 400 grit wet sanding and mulitple blister later i had them in good shape looking like new again. so then i used the new smoke and cleared them and here are some pics of them in the day time and with the led' s illuminated.

here is the original taillight i started with

here they are smoked in the day time

and here they are at night

and here they are with the brakes on

the pics are blurry because they are so dam bright, the reflectors still shine through awesome too so there wont be any problems with the law. also at i tried these on a friends silverado and i got the fast flashers so i got some resistors from ipcw. when i got them on today i had no problems on my truck what so ever . cruise control worked fine and no flash ricer blinkers. i wish i had better pics but they look sweet at night.
Old 09-26-2007, 11:51 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Seems that most like the orig. OEM or LED'S. I was checking out a Trail Blazer on the way in today and the lights look similar to #1 in my list. You guys don't like the lights smoked or just dont like the styles? I would'nt mind a very light tint but I'm with SSS on the VHT, I think paint could do a better job of it. Just want to see what everyone else likes. Is there a difference in the Part Numbers for The OEM'S with and without the border or is that year specific?
Old 09-26-2007, 12:41 PM
Import Moderator

dont quote me on this but i THINK the 03s came w/o the border and the 04-06 came with the borders

youll need to replace your tail wiring harness's to, not hard and it cost bout $30 for both i think. dont half *** it like im sure alot of guys will chime in and say you dont need to you can just splice this and this... dont do that if you decide to do it, just go wit the harness... factorys better than rigged anyday
Old 10-01-2007, 08:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Update: Bought a pair of the 03's NIB. $60 each, not too bad. They should be here by Friday. BTW failed state inspection w/ the VHT smoked versions. State inspection sucks! I wanna build my truck....my way. Oh well no smoke this time... Thanks for the input guys.

>>>And Chase I really like the look you got goin on the SSS. NICE!!!
Old 10-01-2007, 08:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

#3...................
Old 10-02-2007, 06:52 AM
TECH Fanatic

personally, I like #4. Smoked LED. Looks pretty good out of the box.

FWIW, I painted my tails to match the truck, black, and now I have decided that they are WAY too dark. Night is not terrible, but you can't see them during the day. Its a miracle I haven't been hit yet.
Old 10-02-2007, 07:12 AM
TECH Fanatic

This is the back of my truck, lights off. Looks good sitting, but not much different with the running lights on.

Old 10-24-2007, 01:20 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by RedHot04
Looking at several styles. I tinted the rears w/ VHT Nite Shades and really don't like the look.

How it looks right now...
#5 >

where did you find these at i been looking for led tail lights that look stock?
Old 10-24-2007, 06:00 PM
TECH Apprentice

you could smoke your taillights just definitely not that dark. and you should find a paint shop that will smoke them for you. the paint shop will smoke them and they will be shiny like 2004SSS. just dont have them painted as dark. just lightly. i think with the flat black, it gets rid of the reflection part of the lights. making them unsafe.

edit: idea, maybe get some thinner and try to get the paint off. if you have another inspection, you could put in your old lights.
Old 10-25-2007, 09:20 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

'03's FTW. You made a good choice!

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y28...g?t=1193365167

Quick Reply: Which Tail Lights do you Like Best