Notices
GMT 800 & Older GM General Discussion 2006 & Older Trucks | General Discussion

Strange Noise

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2006, 05:10 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Problems and all I just took it for a good thrashing. Cruised for a little bit then laid into it. It may be just because I've been driving a Tercel for 4 weeks but damn it turned my stomach hard from the launch. Whatever is going on has not affected performance one itty bitty bit.

The FLT tranny ROCKS. Kick downs are awesome, shifts are sweet at part throttle and I left a couple 2 ft long 1-2 shift scratch at a WOT run.

When I shut it down the squeal was not there. I did hear some serious popping just cruising 60 down the highway.

I am still not certain I don't have TC issues. Talked with PI today and told them such and they are going to send me a new TC to put in with the engine swap. I've had a couple issues with PI but they have stood behind their product.
Old 02-17-2006, 05:59 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by 1slow01Z71
Only problem with a new 65e is that it is a 65e with nothing done to it and will give out soon too with no warranty.

Since it seems to make the noise at half idle speed that would suggest something cam related since it moves at half the speed of the crank. My be a messed up lifter tray that has allowed a lifter to rotate. My want to pull the cam for now and find out what the lobes look like.
There are a lot of guys that have great luck with the 65E with shift kit and servos and running 500 HP,they hold up for most that dont beat on them like Parish.Can you tell what specifically the FLT has over the 65E?I know some of the parts but i want to know what else.

Last edited by gonzo 6.2; 02-17-2006 at 06:09 PM.
Old 02-17-2006, 06:21 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by gonzo 6.0
There are a lot of guys that have great luck with the 65E with shift kit and servos and running 500 HP,they hold up for most that dont beat on them like Parish.Can you tell what specifically the FLT has over the 65E?I know some of the parts but i want to know what else.
I also opted for the billet output shaft and vacuum modulation.

From his website:

FLT performance pump
Cryogenically treated FLT sleeved input drum
Cryogenically treated input sprag races
Cryogenically treated low roller race
Cryogenically treated bearing style reaction shaft
Cryogenically treated output shaft
GM 5 pinion planets front and rear
Wide 2-4 band
8 B/W high-energy clutches in 3-4 pack
FLT beast shell w/bearing
B/W 29 element sprag
4L65 low roller clutch
Transgo HD-2 shift kit
Corvette Servo
Bushing kit
All solenoids
Internal wire harness
Spacer plate
B/W clutches
Seal & gasket kit
Filter
Updated accumulator pistons
Set end play to performance specs
Deep GM pan (n/a C-5 corvette model)
Sonnax super hold 4th gear servo

Last edited by KySilverado; 02-17-2006 at 06:38 PM.
Old 02-17-2006, 07:59 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by KySilverado
I also opted for the billet output shaft and vacuum modulation.

From his website:

FLT performance pump
GM 5 pinion planets front and rear
Wide 2-4 band
8 B/W high-energy clutches in 3-4 pack
FLT beast shell w/bearing
B/W 29 element sprag
4L65 low roller clutch
Transgo HD-2 shift kit
Corvette Servo
Bushing kit
All solenoids
Internal wire harness
Spacer plate
B/W clutches
Seal & gasket kit
Filter
Updated accumulator pistons
Set end play to performance specs
Deep GM pan (n/a C-5 corvette model)
Sonnax super hold 4th gear servo

These are an upgrade over the 65 for sure
Old 02-17-2006, 08:28 PM
Tin Foil Hat Wearin' Fool

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The sunshell and good frictions are a damn big step up over a stock 65e. My point was you cant put a shift kti and servoes in there but if you truely beat on your truck and engine the power you have then it is going blow pretty quickly. I have pretty much everything in my trans that was listed above except for the cryo treated stuff. My trans was toast before I even started heading back from AL. Not to mention you dont have a warranty I guess I would like to have a trans that has a warranty and been proven to 600hp. That is a good deal for only having 3 miles on it. How much do they want for just the LQ9?
Old 02-17-2006, 08:33 PM
TECH Veteran

When they have them they are complete for $2700 before trying to deal.Any 4L60 or 65E will break if you beat it hard enough I dont care how much money you throw at it.Your built trans wasnt working right after your engine install that may have played apart.And you were conviced your fuddle high stall was no problem for all your towing needs.
Old 02-17-2006, 08:41 PM

I towed with the TCI and it never hurt it. What hurt it was having 550+hp trying to be pushed through it in my heavy *** truck. It was already slipping before I floored it with 2K+ extra pounds. I towed a 8500# boat all the time during the summer with the 5.3 and a 20 foot low boy trailer with 5 atvs and another in the bed icechests and camping supplies never had a slip then. My point being I drive my stuff hard and if there is a weak point in the drivetrain I will find it thus I am going to an 80e and giving up on the 700r4 design trans line.
Old 02-17-2006, 08:54 PM
TECH Veteran

The way you describe your "hammer driving" you should have opted for the 80e from the get-go.To bad GM didnt make 1/2tons bullet proof at the cost of mileage ect...I seem to remember some time ago you were going to install a 3200(?)Fuddle, he told you "ya tow the hell out of it"And I thought you had some sort of 7500 LB travel trailer you were glad to strap on. I had been waiting your results since.I thought your motor took a dump before you towed.So I never did see the test i was waiting for. What did i miss?Then you toasted the trans with engine R&R,testing and yanking a load and miles of no locked up converter.
Old 02-17-2006, 09:09 PM

Motor went out before I got test the converter out by puling our travel trailer from deer camp back to the house. The trans was toasted basically on the maiden voyage of the 418. And yes I drove almost 1K miles without it locked and pulling a trailer with a bike and stock rims/tires. I towed with the TCI which would brake stall to 2900 and would flash if I floored it under load to 3100 or so. My trans never slipped but trans temps did rise some of course going over the bridge. I dont really plan on towing with my new setup since on of my buddies has a CTD Dodge dually so there is no need for me to use mine. I wont hesitate though to tow with the stall I will have in the 80e. Yeah I should have gone with an 80e to begin with but when I blew the trans the first time I was just getting into the performance game and didnt really know alot. Before I even put the trans in I knew that i should have been putting an 80e in but my DD was down and I need a quick fix.
Old 02-17-2006, 09:14 PM
TECH Veteran

I got to give credit were credit is do,you became hands on and like bulldog you learned about engines and clearences and engine R&R,But i have to ask,about how much have you spent on your vehical minus the cost of your truck?

Quick Reply: Strange Noise