Old 05-26-2005, 05:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ACW
Thanks for the TSB
Old 10-21-2005, 02:34 PM
Teching In

My 2003 Yukon has also been having this problem. It wasn't too bad at first, but just since I went past my 36,000 miles, it's gotten bad. Anybody know if GM will perform this service "under waranty" past 36,000? Or will I have to do this myself? I don't go to dealerships for non-waranty work. Thanks.
Old 10-21-2005, 03:13 PM
TECH Veteran

I had mine greased when it was under warranty and now its doing the same crap again. If I take it to the dealer what do you think my chances af replacement out of warraty will be?
Old 10-21-2005, 04:06 PM
PT's Slowest Truck

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by TG02Z71
I had mine greased when it was under warranty and now its doing the same crap again. If I take it to the dealer what do you think my chances af replacement out of warraty will be?
Depends on the dealer...even if it's out of warranty they can still "Goodwill" warranty it, depending on a few things, such as your past history with the dealer, how far out of warranty you are and how many miles, how high their warranty repair% is that month, their particular mood that day, etc. If you mention that you'll give them 100% on the CSI survey it might help.

I had my steering intermediate shaft replaced under warranty at 12k in Oct of 2000 (supposedly a re-designed shaft...the first of a few re-designs). Then in Oct of 02, at 26.7K I did the lube deal as per the TSB myself after it started acting up again (the lube kit cost me about $12 at the dealer). So far it's been quiet since then (46K on the ticker now). If it decides to start acting up again I'll probably just re-lube it again unless I have some extra cash to dump on the latest and greatest re-designed shaft. (hate it when repair costs dip into my mod money )

I'm curious to see if the newest design shaft that folks are getting will hold up....
Old 10-28-2005, 10:54 AM
Teching In

Ive had mine replaced 3 times already and it is an 04 z71 reg cab. But i also work for a dealership so any noise it makes i tell them and it gets replaced the truck only has 26k miles too.
Old 10-30-2005, 09:30 AM
TECH Apprentice

well I'm at 52k miles, and it started for me around 40k, so getting it done under warrenty ain't happening, can I just let it clunk? Or will I damage something?
Old 01-03-2006, 02:08 AM
On The Tree

My 05 started with about 5k on the clock, Its gotten really bad that my friend riding with me could hear the clunking sound. Gonna take it in this week.
Old 01-03-2006, 06:12 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 03NHSilvy
well I'm at 52k miles, and it started for me around 40k, so getting it done under warrenty ain't happening, can I just let it clunk? Or will I damage something?

I just had mine done at 50,000, and they covered it under their "Goodwill" policy. It doesn't hurt to ask.
Old 01-03-2006, 06:54 AM
TECH Veteran

I just don't understand what GM is doing on this????
If there is a replecement part that fixes the issue ,then why build brand new 05-06 trucks with the crappy old shaft??
Is it a roll of the dice for money thing they are doing?
Are these junk shafts coming from China at such a great price they can't pass it up?
I have asked my dealer about it becoming a re-call item and they say "not that we know of".
This is coming from insiders I know there so I don't think they would BS me.
Just really makes me wonder about a company that can produce some of the best engines in the world and still cheap out on basic components, especially ones that steer your vehicle.
I'll always buy GM but it just makes me think I have to investigate everything about the vehicle before buying it.
That's called lack of trust.

GM, if you see this please fix your issues to keep your customers!!!!
Old 01-03-2006, 01:18 PM
Staging Lane

Glad I saw this, I ve had a clanking in my steering for a couple thousand miles just didnt want to take it to the dealer. Well, I had to go in for something else and mentioned it to the service writter. He didnt even bat an eye. He said, "I know what it is, I ll get the parts ordered." I was in shock.

Brad

Quick Reply: Steering clunk info?