Notices
GMT 800 & Older GM General Discussion 2006 & Older Trucks | General Discussion

Silverado SS or Lightning?

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2004, 09:22 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by marc_w
I don't think the L has much of a tow-rating AT ALL, maybe 2,000lbs max?
I was wrong, it's up around 5,000lbs. Maybe I'm thinking of the Dodge thing with the big motor...
Old 11-10-2004, 10:08 AM
MOOBIES Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wanted an L when I bought the Sierra. If I had a choice between those two, I would go for the L all day. I have never towed anything, and don't need a back seat.
Old 11-10-2004, 10:19 AM
12 Second Truck Club

Originally Posted by marc_w
I don't think the L has much of a tow-rating AT ALL, maybe 2,000lbs max?

Most!

Not gravel, but I had two yards of mulch in the back of mine. My bed looks like pure hell.
here, here!

I have hauled tons of dirt, rocks, and gravel in my poor truck. I don't tow much but a couple times a year I tow my buddy's bass boat to our tournaments. That's changed since he bought and SS truck though. LOL
Old 11-10-2004, 11:01 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Agreed, fast = L and practical = SS. But, that is one HELL of a price for the Lightning! Just remember that your SS is gonna take a huge depreciation hit, even with the low miles. Unfortunate reality of GM/American vehicles.
The low tow rating is for the SRT-10 Dodge. The L has a decent tow rating but I would not look to hook up a fifth wheel or anything like that.
The other shoe is that making the L faster is easier and cheaper than the SS. Chip, pulley, and intake puts some serious power down. Of course, your SS will be hooking up with the AWD while the L is feathering the throttle to keep traction.
Boy, I don't envy your choice! Good luck, let us know what ya decide.
Old 11-10-2004, 11:02 AM
14 Second Truck Club

I was looking into an SS, but the price difference was too much over the Z71, about 7-8k even thought the stickers were only 6k different. If I bought one it would be used for hauling though, and towing my boat, etc..... It is a great truck, I just couldn't justify the extra money.
Old 11-10-2004, 11:06 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Scream
I wanted an L when I bought the Sierra. If I had a choice between those two, I would go for the L all day. I have never towed anything, and don't need a back seat.
I'm glad you got your Sierra, L wouldn't have been nearly as cool...

but on the other side, the L truly is engineered for hauling ***....drivetrain is made to run 13's all day long w/o breaking a sweat, and the trans can hold up to 11s with just an upgraded valve body. Luckily they fixed the weak rod/spitting plug issue they had on the 01-02, some of 03's. The 04's seem to have every bug worked out.

Good luck deciding, tough choice I think
Old 11-10-2004, 11:13 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by mzoomora
I was looking into an SS, but the price difference was too much over the Z71, about 7-8k even thought the stickers were only 6k different. If I bought one it would be used for hauling though, and towing my boat, etc..... It is a great truck, I just couldn't justify the extra money.
I honestly couldn't either...

I went to a dealer just to look at prices for a Z71. Of course I got pestered by a salesman. Not very serious at all, I told him I was interested in the SS. To my complete amazement, the manager of the dealer worked out numbers that were cheaper than what I was paying for my current truck, which was only 1.5 years old at the time... so I said, "what the heck".

I went in late on a Saturday at the end of a month, with NO intention of buying a truck. I honestly DID NOT WANT TO at the time. I guess everything fell into place and my attitude worked to my advantage.
Old 11-10-2004, 12:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

That is what makes it so difficult guys. Here is my situation

I am a single college student that works at an auto parts store about 25-30 hrs a week to afford my truck, and whatever else I feel like doing. I don't have rent, a house payment, kids, or any other big expenses (except my gf) I do not need an extended cab although I like having it, nor do I tow anything on a regular basis. Just an occasional friends car who broke down doing something stupid

The Lightning that I found is in another state so I can't just go and test drive it, although I have driven one for a few minutes before and it was awesome. Definately not as nice of an interior as the SS, and in my opinion didn't look quite as good(although I really do like the way they look). The main things that draw me to it is the beefed up tranny, rear end, and stock blower because I would like to be fast again, and not spend $5-6k or more just to do it reliably. Guess that I will just have to do a little more looking into it and see if getting rid of the awd and extended cab is worth being fast. Definately a very difficult question.

Hey, 5.3racer16 where in TX are you? You know, if you are looking for an SS
Old 11-10-2004, 12:21 PM
MOOBIES Moderator

If I were in your shoes and I had the money, I would get the L. JMHO.
Old 11-10-2004, 02:04 PM
Banned

[QUOTE=ktmrider]Agreed, fast = L and practical = SS. But, that is one HELL of a price for the Lightning! Just remember that your SS is gonna take a huge depreciation hit, even with the low miles. Unfortunate reality of GM/American vehicles.

This is not always true. i bought an 03 ss brand new (230 miles) and now I have almost 18,000 miles and about a week ago I got a price quote from a different dealership and it was 40 dollars higher than what I paid for it. I know this does not happen often. Maybe im just lucky

Quick Reply: Silverado SS or Lightning?