Notices
GMT 800 & Older GM General Discussion 2006 & Older Trucks | General Discussion

Roll Bar + C5 Z06 Seats

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2008, 11:12 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

that cage as far as my research goes is good for nothing, you need the rear bars, and is it welded to the frame or just plated on the floor? if its just to the floor then even with the rear bars it'd be pointless. It needs to be continuous to the frame right through the floor. Also I personally would be pissed with that job, crush bent tubing? Not even mandrel bends, what thickness and type steel did they use? Honestly I don't like it, good ideas, cool seats, but the shop did a tacky job putting it together for the price. Sorry man

edit:
plus from the pictures the door bars don't look like they are high enough for spec.
Old 02-10-2008, 12:00 PM
LS1Tech Whore

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by GMracer
that cage as far as my research goes is good for nothing, you need the rear bars, and is it welded to the frame or just plated on the floor? if its just to the floor then even with the rear bars it'd be pointless. It needs to be continuous to the frame right through the floor. Also I personally would be pissed with that job, crush bent tubing? Not even mandrel bends, what thickness and type steel did they use? Honestly I don't like it, good ideas, cool seats, but the shop did a tacky job putting it together for the price. Sorry man

edit:
plus from the pictures the door bars don't look like they are high enough for spec.
Yeah I see what u mean now. The bars are only welded to the floor. The seats felt too low when they installed them so I had them raised 2 inches. Consider this just a harness bar I only race at the local ghetto track anyways But now you have me worried lol
Old 02-10-2008, 07:06 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by GMracer

edit:
I didnt want to be the first one to say this but i completly agree. If i had a shop build me a roll cage and the did it with crush bends i would be pissed. What did they use exhaust tubing?..
Old 02-10-2008, 07:53 PM
LS1Tech Whore

Originally Posted by UBLUZIN03
I didnt want to be the first one to say this but i completly agree. If i had a shop build me a roll cage and the did it with crush bends i would be pissed. What did they use exhaust tubing?..
i dunno ima call them tomorrow
Old 02-13-2008, 07:22 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i agree man. Those bends are scary I am not trying to be a dick, I just want to make sure you are getting your $$$$ worth.
Old 02-13-2008, 08:14 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah i was kinda wondering that, It looks like small exhaust tubing like a cage made out of beer cans
Old 02-13-2008, 01:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

honestly dude I think you should take it back... you said it was welded to the floor? well first off is it even plated on the underside of the floor? by regulation it has to go through the floor all solid welded no breaks in the cage through the floor... the bends are a complete joke and for you to have to re setup the seats sucks. Sure it can be a harness bar, but you shouldn't have been charged that much for it if that's what it is
Old 02-13-2008, 01:23 PM
LS1Tech Whore

thanks everyone, if it werent for you guys I wouldnt have known all of this. Its kinda my fault for getting screwed cause I saw the ones they had on their cars and to me they looked normal. The shop owner is my friends dad so I'll just leave that alone. I'll just consider it an experience and later on when I have the cash, I'll take it somewhere else. They were the ones who made the seat brackets taller, not me. The seats fit fine and all.

x10
Old 02-13-2008, 02:01 PM
Resident Retard

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Honestly I don't think that cage or the seat brackets will pass tech at a decent track.... The crush bends seriously weaken the strength of the bar... What gauge sheet are the seat brackets made out of??? That Roll Bar design is mainly for roll over protection and without the rear bars if you did roll the truck the bar would more than likely come unattached and if your harness is mounted to it, it would drag you with it... I am not exactly sure where the frame is under the cab but if the main hoop does not attach directly to it then you run kicker bars that attach to the directly to the frame... Kicker bars shown below... Also I don't think bent door bars are legal in drag racing, maybe in a road course car...

Remember a cage is not for looks or bragging rights it is for protection... A poorly designed cage can do more harm than good!!!

BTW an old trick to do when using a crush type bender is fill the pipe with sand and cap off both ends and it keep it from crushing the pipe, in most cases, mainly depends on the thickness of the pipe and radius of the bend!

Last edited by BlackGMC; 02-13-2008 at 02:37 PM.
Old 02-13-2008, 02:31 PM
Resident Retard

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Here are some pics of approved 8 point roll cage design for a truck!!!

Quick Reply: Roll Bar + C5 Z06 Seats