Notices
GMT 800 & Older GM General Discussion 2006 & Older Trucks | General Discussion

riddle for physics people

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2003, 04:27 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: riddle for physics people

jim, were you a physics major in college? where did you go to school. i took physics at brockport, but it was not my major.
I am an engineer from RIT
Physics 1-4 were required
Hey guys...this is off topic, but I am originally from Geneseo.....where do you guys live ??
Old 05-02-2003, 04:29 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

jim, i took physics 1-2 at brockport. i still have a hard time believing that if you took a rocket across the universe and came back, the people left on earth would be older than you. that baffles my mind that you don't age as fast as the people left on earth
Old 05-02-2003, 04:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

So if I hung my *** out the window while traveling by at the speed of light, would you still see a full moon tonight?

Sorry for the bad joke, it's already beer:30 here on the east coast.
Old 05-02-2003, 10:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

when i was in high scool i would ask my hot a** physics teacher if i was traveling the speed of light would it be dark. she couold not give me an answer.
Old 05-03-2003, 03:19 AM
TECH Addict

Well back when I was in the movie StarWars and they called me HUNG-SO-LOW. I had to remember not to go beyond light speed or I would turn plade
Old 05-03-2003, 12:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Quote:
Bottom line: inside your truck going the speed of light or faster you will not notice a difference in the headlights

Qoute:
so i would still be able to see just as if i were doing 75 on the interstate?

Quote:
correct, you can thank einstein's theory of special relativity for that one he started working on that theory when he was 16 years old!
------------------------------------------------------------

Incorrect, traveling at the speed you won't see light being refelcted off of anything. Light is not matter that can be "thrown" or "launched" it is just photo-sensory. Since you are traveling at the same speed as the light, there isn't enough time/space for light to be reflected back to you. If someone is in the distance ahead of you, they will see your headlights but not anything else being lit up. Just as you can see headlights down the road without seeing the vehicle itself or anything around it.
Old 05-03-2003, 05:14 PM
TECH Addict

amen to that
Old 05-03-2003, 05:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

KeukaZ71-about that not aging thing, I have a hard time understanding it also. This is what I think-the theory behind it is that if you travel at the speed of light or faster you will travel through time. Since it has never been achieved, nobody knows how far into the future you will travel. With that said, even if you travel at the speed of light you continue to age at the same rate. But, since you are traveling "through time into the future" there will be difference in your age to everyone elses. Time never stops or slows down with the exception of a black hole, which has also not been proven. So it's not a matter of age defiance but a matter of time defiance/time travel. Hope that helps
Old 05-03-2003, 07:57 PM
TECH Addict

my physics teacher in college tried to explain it to the rest of the class scientifically, but i never could except it. you can't accelerate time or slow it down. that is how i feel. so if you left earth and traveled to a far away galaxy and came back, wouldn't 10 years in your book be the same 10 years in the books of people left on earth? i guess it is some theory of relativity (sp..) or something. i have my physics book still, i should go get it and i'll be back. maybe i'll make a stop by the fridge for a
Old 05-03-2003, 08:08 PM
TECH Addict

YELO, i live right outside of rochester in a town called victor. it is were 490 east and I90 (thruway) meet.

Jim, looks like you already beat me to it (theory of relativity). i just saw it on your ealier posts

Quick Reply: riddle for physics people