Notices
GMT 800 & Older GM General Discussion 2006 & Older Trucks | General Discussion

removing cats and warranty

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2004, 10:36 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default removing cats and warranty

Ok when I remove my cats will it void my entire warranty or just my exhaust warranty. My family is friends with the dealerships owner who would do the work but would they have to report that to chevy or is it on their own terms if they do this or not.
Old 03-31-2004, 10:53 AM
TECH Senior Member

It's their own choice on what they can overlook.

The only thing you should have problems with on your warranty is if you have problems with the rear o2 sensros. It will kick your SES lihgt on if you don't have the codes turned off though.
Old 03-31-2004, 11:11 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by cstchevy
Ok when I remove my cats will it void my entire warranty or just my exhaust warranty. My family is friends with the dealerships owner who would do the work but would they have to report that to chevy or is it on their own terms if they do this or not.

I took mine to the dealer for my wiper motor yesterday and they didnt say anything.. It was loud and got alot of attention.. but my cat shells are still there I cut them open on top and gutted them and welded them back up... They will never know.....
Old 03-31-2004, 11:18 AM
TECH Fanatic

I have the sims to put in so the ses lights wont come on. So everythng should be ok.
Old 03-31-2004, 12:37 PM
On The Tree

my uncle had a 97 with the cat gutted and took it to the dealer for something (cant remember what for) and they noticed it had been gutted and they voided the rest of the factory warranty.then he sold truck haha
Old 03-31-2004, 01:36 PM
TECH Senior Member

They can't do that by federal law.

I had a dealership tell me that they weren't going to touch my truck cause I had the RADIX on it. I went ahead and got my power steering pump replaced that visit and went back for headlight replacements because they had moisture in them. The service manager was just being a dick about it. I had GM customer care on my side though. Guess who won.
Old 03-31-2004, 01:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

that's exactly my point, I don't give a crap about voided exhaust warranty, it's all aftermarket anyways(except headers) so when my Sims come in I am off to get those little bitches cut off.
Old 03-31-2004, 03:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Flyer
They can't do that by federal law.

I had a dealership tell me that they weren't going to touch my truck cause I had the RADIX on it. I went ahead and got my power steering pump replaced that visit and went back for headlight replacements because they had moisture in them. The service manager was just being a dick about it. I had GM customer care on my side though. Guess who won.
He is right.
A vehicle manufacturer cannot void the entire vehicles warranty due to aftermartket parts.
They can choose to void portions of the warranty in which the aftermarket part effects.
Like you said exhaust - or suspension parts when a veh is lowered or raised.
It really comes down to the dealer - some are very relaxed about it and some are not - normally the ones who are not - normally dont sell very many higher perf vehicles.
Old 03-31-2004, 03:51 PM
On The Tree

really? thats good to know for me,but to late for my uncle that was a couple years ago.
Old 03-31-2004, 04:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Well now we all know for sure.

Quick Reply: removing cats and warranty