Notices
GMT 800 & Older GM General Discussion 2006 & Older Trucks | General Discussion

Rear sliding window leaks at top

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2007, 03:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Rear sliding window leaks at top

Every time i wash my truck, water drips from the seal of my rear window at the top on both sides of my truck. do i have to get the window seal replaced and how much?
Old 02-23-2007, 10:07 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

the seal is most likely cracked - I'm sure it's visible. you need a new rear window seal. If yours is the factory original, I'm surprised it lasted this long. Call a glass shop for an estimate.
Old 02-23-2007, 10:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Time for a new seal.

I agree with SnakeOiler, call a shop to get a price. It shouldn't be too much.
Old 02-24-2007, 08:55 PM
PT's Slowest Truck

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Take a close look...if you have the factory sliding rear window with the plastic frame, more than likely the frame is cracked and the sliding rear window assembly needs to be replaced. I had mine replaced 3 times under warranty until the dealer finally put an aftermarket (CR Lawrence) sliding rear window in, which has a metal frame to it. This repair was as per GM since they couldn't seem to design a window frame that didn't crack due to body flex...WTF?

If you already have a window with a metal frame, then a re-seal is in order.
Old 02-26-2007, 08:43 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by budhayes3
Take a close look...if you have the factory sliding rear window with the plastic frame, more than likely the frame is cracked and the sliding rear window assembly needs to be replaced. I had mine replaced 3 times under warranty until the dealer finally put an aftermarket (CR Lawrence) sliding rear window in, which has a metal frame to it. This repair was as per GM since they couldn't seem to design a window frame that didn't crack due to body flex...WTF?

If you already have a window with a metal frame, then a re-seal is in order.
i looked where it was leaking and didnt notice any cracking, not sure if its plastic ill have to check. any idea how much the aftermarket one was?

i didnt know this was a common problem. i guess ill have to call a glass place for an estimate.

thanks guys.
Old 02-26-2007, 12:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

What budhayes3 said is exactly correct. Had the exact same problem with my truck. The only difference with mine is that I had my window replaced with a C.R. Lawrence window the first time. I checked with my local dealer when the window leaked and they told me that it is a known problem and they would only replace it with a non-slider. I wanted to keep my slider so I had my local glass shop install C.R. Lawrence Power-Slider (metal frame). I love it! No problems with it since.

When you check for the cracks in the plastic frame, look carefully. The cracks almost look like they should be there. On my truck, I thought they were expansion joints. They were very straight and in similar places on both sides of the window frame. I didnot know there were cracks until my window started leaking.