Notices
GMT 800 & Older GM General Discussion 2006 & Older Trucks | General Discussion

PLEASE HELP shipping quote trouble

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2007, 11:03 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PLEASE HELP shipping quote trouble

ok heres the deal, i need a shipping quote for my 6.0. every shipping/freight site i got to looking for a quote asks for to/from zips blah blah blah but then they also ask for 'rate' and weight. the weight i just put 500 cause i figure its better to overshoot than under-estimate in this scenario, but i have NO CLUE WHATSOEVER as to what 'rate' is does anyone know what it is or how to figure it? or what it would be for an engine??? any help is greatly appreciated.

thanx
-jason
Old 01-14-2007, 12:02 PM
Launching!

What is a freight class/rate?
Different types of products have different shipping costs associated with them. The motor carrier industry defines products being shipped according to certain characteristics: density, stowability, handling and liability. Each definition, or description, is called a freight classification/Rate.
A shipment's freight class is needed in order to calculate freight charges. Most providers of ground transportation use a reference called the National Motor Freight Classification (NMFC) to determine freight classes for rating purposes.
I used to use class 50 when shipping a pallet of surplus bearings, I would think since an engine is dense in nature that a class 50 would be appropriate.
The following link may answer some more of your questions.
http://www.uquotefreight.com/montips.htm
Old 01-14-2007, 12:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

thank you very much, im checking out that link.
Old 01-15-2007, 07:21 PM
14 Second Truck Club

hey man, i work for fedex freight. i can see what kind of price you will be looking at if you can pm me your zip code, destination zip, approx. weight. and just a few tips...it'll typically be cheaper if you send it out through a business, preferably one with a dock and a forklift. if not, maybe a trip to the nearest terminal so the shipper can unload it for you. same for the consignee, it'll be cheaper if they receive it at a business (dock and forklift), and even cheaper if they pick it up at the terminal. as for the weight...lowball the weight. every terminal your shipment touches should reweigh your engine, sometimes they get in a hurry and forget, which leaves you with a little more money in your pocket...heavier and bigger = higher shipping cost. and my last point, i know with fedex freight you can get 40% off your first shipment if you sign up for an account, which is free. oh and one last thing. whoever you decide to ship with, make sure you package that thing up nice and tight. on top of an old tire and banded to a pallet is pretty standard.
Old 01-15-2007, 10:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

planned on drop off and pickup at dock.
have engine crate to band it to.
the overshot weight was just for the online quote to prepare mself for the worst.
if they let me tell em the weight ill say it weighs 300 lbs lol.
from 65689 to 44094 @ 500 lbs for quote.
Old 01-16-2007, 08:09 PM
14 Second Truck Club

check your pm's