Notices
GMT 800 & Older GM General Discussion 2006 & Older Trucks | General Discussion

Odd Overheating issue... HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2011, 09:26 AM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I will try to find a test kit. Thanks for everyone's help. I have checked in front of and behind the radiator/condensor and don't see anything that could be blocking flow. I drove it to work this morning and checked the oil when I got here. I can't see any signs of coolant in the oil or the tailpipes. The coolant did look a little low which is stange since I have been keeping an eye on it and it was at the "full" mark last time I checked. I don't see any signs of the coolant leaking anywhere. It seems like the expansion tank would act as a "fuse" meaning that it would blow first and relieve the pressure before the head gasket would. Is that a fair assumption? When it overheated back in February it blew coolant out everwhere. Under the hood was soaked as well as the fenderwell. I sincerely hope it is not a headgasket. Could the thermostat be sticking?

Would it be helpful to loop the heater hoses that come out of the passenger side of of the water pump to see if that has any effect on the problem? Wouldn't this take the heater core out of the equation? Will this hurt anything to try? I used to see guys do this at the dragstrip on F-bodies.