Notices
GMT 800 & Older GM General Discussion 2006 & Older Trucks | General Discussion

low pro tires suck big time

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2006, 08:42 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default low pro tires suck big time

well wed. i was leaving the office to run some things all over town and i hit a pot hole. not even 300 yards from the office. it didnt sound good so i pulled over and checked everything out, everything looked fine didnt see or hear anything. got done running around town went and cut a slab we just poured that morning(im in the construction business). got back to the office and unloaded the saw and the guys were out at the picnic tabel with some cold ones. and all the sudden they all started laughing, and i was like wtf. get out and noticed my tire was low. so i checked all the tread for a nail or something but nothing. so i cant find out whats happining so i stick my head inside the finderwell and look at the inside of the rim. it was bent to hell and back and then some. not really but it sounded good. so it was bent what a way to end my day. then i noticed that my tire is also cut right there. so **** there goes $700 out the window (rim and tire). so i fill my tire full of air and i was just going to go to the house 5 min away and put on the spare. so i go to leave and here ppsshhhh.....ppsshhhh.....ppsshhhh DAMN there is no way i can drive like this. so i take one of the work trucks to the house grab a jack, air wrench, proper socket, and spare tire and then go back to work. change everthing out and go home. the whole time cussing because i know someone is saying " damn what a true ricer, 5 different colors and riding on the spare". so i get home and show my dad and he goes out in the shop grabs a few things and starts walking back with a towel and a sledge hammer. i told him just to go back inside there is a better way to handle this. so right now my rim is sitting in a truck on its way to tampa going to some place that refurbrished rims, it will be back mon. im going to order new tires some with a little more meat, the 295/30/22 just arnt cutting it. the repair on the rim is only $60 which sounds alot better that a whole new rim.

sry about no pics i wish i would have taken some.
Old 04-27-2006, 08:45 PM
TECH Addict

why are your tires so small to begin with, that awefully small for your truck , imo go with a 304/40/22 youll like the ride much better!
Old 04-27-2006, 09:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

I had that problem before, Boyd's are expensive to replace. That's why I now run stock 17's. I look at it this way, no more polishing - just wash, no one trying to steal them, and if I ***** them up, oh well another $300 and I've got another set.
Old 04-27-2006, 09:36 PM
Teching In

Man I feel ya on this post. I ride on 255/35/20s becuase my truck is dropped 5/7. I used have some aluminum 20s, but I was ALWAYS bending those guys. Seemed like all I had to do was imagine a pothole in the road I ended up buying some chrome wheels, they seem to be much stronger, but they are way heavy. Ohh well, small price to pay I suppose.
Old 04-27-2006, 10:52 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you want a strong wheel get steel; although I'd hate to imagine what they'd weigh in a 22" size

I understand you though; I run around here on some of the worst roads in the state and I run on dirt roads as well sometimes. That's part of the reason why I'm running 20's on 50 series tires. I can't go with a 4/7 drop like I originally wanted but at least its got a fat tire on it and I don't have to worry about curb rash
Old 04-28-2006, 09:01 AM
TECH Apprentice

yeah i just go word from my tire guy. im stoping by there today and were going to go over some specs for 315 40 22 or something like that.

Another Day, Another Dollar
Old 04-28-2006, 12:52 PM
Baltimore Whore

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yah i hear that. I have had my stock wheels back on my truck for a few weeks and to be honest i think I am going to sell my 20's and keep the stockers on or get a smaller set of wheels.
Old 04-28-2006, 02:24 PM
On The Tree

I love the way that the 20's look on the SS, but I did not get 20's on my Vortec MAX for this very reason. I live in Idaho where the roads aren't so great and we use trucks like trucks, not like sports cars.

I did not want to have to worry about dingin my bling on a rock (or a pothole). 17's still look OK and have enough cushion to protect the rim from reasonable use.

Just my .02

Mike
Old 05-02-2006, 08:13 PM
TECH Apprentice

well i got my rim back today and guess what? a hair line crack in the droped part of the rim kept if from getting fixed. so now that im out of school as of mon. i guess i can be putting in those 40+ hours iv been looking forward too. ill post pics sometime tomorrow.
Old 05-03-2006, 10:50 PM
TECH Apprentice

can you see the crack? i hate potholes

Quick Reply: low pro tires suck big time