Notices
GMT 800 & Older GM General Discussion 2006 & Older Trucks | General Discussion

Lifter Tick After Highway Speeds

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2017, 12:35 PM
Launching!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Lifter Tick After Highway Speeds

Like the title says I am getting lifter tick (what it sounds like) after I drive around 30 miles on the highway. I don't drive that far often at a constant 70 mph but when I do the tick comes. It also goes away after about 2 miles of driving. My oil pressure doesn't drop or spike up either. It's also a lifter on the left side and I just changed my filter and the oil level is fine.

I'm guessing it's maybe a clogged pick up tube or maybe the oil pump is starting to go bad?

Anyone have any ideas? I haven't done an engine flush yet but I will try that first before I buy parts of take that dreaded harmonic balancer off again and that damn pick up tube bolt to check the O-Ring.
Old 07-05-2017, 01:24 PM
13 Second Truck Club

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Run some trans fluid 1 qt in oil for 500-miles change

i did 2 quarts for 1000 to get my wife's truck to stop eating oil - did it three times - 28k later still gets 19mpg on eway
Old 07-05-2017, 02:07 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 546 Likes on 472 Posts

Lifter tick is still very common to hear even if the motor is completely healthy.

If doing the transmission fluid trick doesn't help, not much really will and you'll just have to learn to deal with it. My old truck with 258,000 miles was pretty bad when I bought it, used trans fluid to clean it up some but the noise was always still there sometimes.
Old 07-05-2017, 02:31 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by FFDP
Lifter tick is still very common to hear even if the motor is completely healthy.

If doing the transmission fluid trick doesn't help, not much really will and you'll just have to learn to deal with it. My old truck with 258,000 miles was pretty bad when I bought it, used trans fluid to clean it up some but the noise was always still there sometimes.
My truck has 140K and I know at some point you have to deal with it as some trucks just have it no matter what. But I feel like the trucks that do have it at all speeds and is always constant. Mine only comes on after driving on the highway for a fair amount of time. Which seems like a issues that is fixable to me.
Old 07-05-2017, 02:32 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by trxmxzx
Run some trans fluid 1 qt in oil for 500-miles change

i did 2 quarts for 1000 to get my wife's truck to stop eating oil - did it three times - 28k later still gets 19mpg on eway
I'll try and run some trans fluid right before an oil change for a while and see if it gets some gunk out. The filter that is on right now is fresh so that should help