Notices
GMT 800 & Older GM General Discussion 2006 & Older Trucks | General Discussion

Lifted 1500 Crew Asking for opinions

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2017, 02:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lifted 1500 Crew Asking for opinions

Hello all. I am looking for opinions on what to do with my truck. I have a 4x4 5.3 with 4L60E, 35" tires, 7.5 inches higher. All stock other than the lift and the wheels/tires. Running 3.42 gears. Currently I have an engine that needs at least head gaskets probably more. Castec casting marks. Dont see cracks, but its so sludgy inside that rockerbox there almost certainly is a crack or 2. Trans was rebuilt a year ago. I love this truck, but it is sluggish, probably due to the gearing, and it has a bad engine.
My questions is what opinions can I gather from you folks as to what you would do in this situation? I wanna keep the truck, but its using antifreeze and oil and I dont consider it reliable any longer. But I would also sell or trade if the situation was fair. I would love to hear some opinions here. Just looking for some advice, education, conversation, etc... Thank fellas..
Old 12-02-2017, 08:01 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 546 Likes on 472 Posts

You have like a million different options if you think about it, just depends on what you wish to spend and what you are willing to do yourself.

Snag a junkyard engine and slap it in there, upgrade to something bigger like a 6.0 even.

If the bottom end is solid, no knocks or metal on the drain plug type of stuff you could just pull the motor and "rebuild" it if you want too.

Dingle ball hone the cylinders, new piston rings, new head gaskets, new lifters, intake gaskets to cover your bases and slap it back in the truck for not a ton of money.

Then swap in some 4.56's or 4.88 to make the truck not such a slow turd.
Old 12-05-2017, 10:35 AM

Is there a great big book of everything available to purchase, covering the interchangeability of these LS engines, heads, cranks, cams, trans compatible, etc?
Old 12-05-2017, 11:25 AM
TECH Senior Member

Not really.

Most of it is stuff you read and find out. Tons of parts from both the GEN 3 and GEN 4 engines swap over just fine but can they be used is the question. Many parts wouldn't work because of the electronics and how the computers control each engine.

If you have an specific questions go ahead and post them, many of us know what can work and can't work.
Old 12-06-2017, 10:22 AM

ok, thanks. Where are the most reliable sources for heads/ used motors that are not already toast? Old engine spun a bearing last August.. I tried a junkyard motor and had a garage totally burn me. They put in a used 5.3 with toasted heads gaskets and super sludge inside and outside of the motor. It looked like it was dragged through a tarpit. I should have just paid the dealer for a new motor with warranty... So a few thousand thrown down the toilet and now, in dealing with what I have in there, would any kind of head upgrade or heads from a 5.7/6.0 be a good idea with a stock motor? The bottom end isn't knocking, but so much sludge. Looks to me like the sludge that gets formed from the red antifreeze mixing with oil. Cant be good for the rest of the lubrication of the motor. Not sure if I should even try to fix this motor.. I wonder if I should just start over and go the dealer/ new motor route.
Old 12-06-2017, 11:37 AM
TECH Senior Member

A known good wrecking yard or someone parting a vehicle out tends to be the best choices for decent used motor. Ideally if you can hear it run and be able to pull a valve cover to check how clean it is helps too.

243/799 cylinder heads are great upgrades over the 706/862 that come on the early GEN 3 4.8/5.3. Better flow and a little bump in compression.

Engines can be cleaned if you put in the effort. It may have sludge build up and be dirty but it's only going to take your personal time to clean that up. If you pulled the engine, took the pan off and hosed it down with a cleaner and scrap the stuff out it would be nice and clean again. If it runs good aside from the head gasket leak, replacing it seems overkill.

Again you have your options. This is just what I'd likely do because it's not going to cost a ton of money and new engines from GM aren't exactly cheap.
Old 12-08-2017, 09:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 37 Likes on 25 Posts

I agree with what has already been mentioned.
even a mild 5.3 with better gears will really wake that truck up.
those gears are really making that motor and trans work.
some 4.88s will really wake it up.