Notices
GMT 800 & Older GM General Discussion 2006 & Older Trucks | General Discussion

kyle you jackass, look what you did.

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2005, 09:05 PM
Destroyer of Transmissions

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You could ship those pieces to the cheaters and ask if they ever run into this problem while thier car is on the trailer?
Old 09-20-2005, 09:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was wondering how long it would take you to blow that thing up. I had the 3.42s without a G80 and I killed the spider gears and basically everything else pretty quick with only a K&N intake and Flowmaster muffler. I guess you have the strongest stock rear end in the world or something.

Something about that last statement just doesn't sound right. I don't think thats something one dude should say to another dude.
Old 09-20-2005, 11:25 PM
TECH Apprentice

do go 9" unless you wanna go pure drag... I thnk a built 12 bolt would do you fine (the stock 10 bolt lasted a long time) but if you ensist on a ford rear go 8.8 just as strong but less rolling restience
Old 09-20-2005, 11:58 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by parish8
it was on the short list.

anyone know a good place to get a complete 9" ready to go? i dont suppose anyone makes one ready to bolt in?
You could contact Currie Enterprises; the website looks like its mostly Jeep stuff but they'll build anything you'd want I think. From a 9 in. Ford to a Dana 60 or GM 12-bolt, and I think they will do any bolt pattern imaginable too.

Currie Enterprises
Old 09-21-2005, 12:19 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by StrokerAce03
You could contact Currie Enterprises; the website looks like its mostly Jeep stuff but they'll build anything you'd want I think. From a 9 in. Ford to a Dana 60 or GM 12-bolt, and I think they will do any bolt pattern imaginable too.

Currie Enterprises
Currie does some good work on swapping the 9" into other vehicles as well. I've seen their work on making a 9" housing a direct bolt in affari for a hudson, which is not the easiest thing in the world.
Old 09-21-2005, 05:26 AM
TECH Apprentice

What about the front??, that one is even smaller in size.

First option:
looking to get back on the road asap with plently of strength:
Gm 9.5 rearend should bolt right in(rearend from 1500hd, LD2500), and be strong enough. I think it has 33 or 31 spline axles from the factory. A few choices on traction options(lockers and posi's). Truck Trends mag went with this rear in thier jucied dmax sport half-ton. although this still a c-clip rearend and may want to get a c-clip elimator kit.

Second option:
Moser 12bolt. built right and stronger than any ford 9", may have to custom build, might want to consider if going with four link.

Third option:
Strange Super 60. 9.25". heavier, stouter. basically put it under there and forget about it!!!

Ford 9"s are not all that strong, just in racing its easy to change out ratio's easy and quick, and you can setup the third member before hand. Is big reason why they are popular in racing. Basically they have to be built strong, but not inherently strong due the third member design and stamped steel housing(flex)

And beside what is it with you and ford lately?? first talk about getting a ford v10 and now you want a ford rearend. Signs of converting???
Old 09-21-2005, 07:51 AM
How do I change this text

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 8100hammer
And beside what is it with you and ford lately?? first talk about getting a ford v10 and now you want a ford rearend. Signs of converting???

Please don't put ANY ford parts on your truck. Here is why.

Technician A- "Look, here is the fastest Chevy in the world, and soon to be
fastest truck in the world on performancetrucks.net."
Technician B- "Really how does he get the power to the ground?"
Technician A- "Ford nine inch"
Technician B- "What did you say, a ford?"
Technician A- "You heard me, just shut up."
Old 09-21-2005, 08:14 AM
TECH Apprentice

Old 09-21-2005, 08:56 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Why put a 9" in that will slow it down a bit???
The 8.5" rear is NOT the problem its the gov lock. The same rear will reliably put a heavy GN into the 8's with just two wheels moving the car, no power split to the front. Save some dough and put a detroit locker and some good axles in it. My freind broke a G80 the other night in his stock 16 second 305 vortec truck, but his procharged 98' can run 12.95@107.4 and still not break it lol.
the 8.5" has been fine for my low 1.5 60ft's thus far.

Its amazing that the gov lock lasted that long though, I expected you to break it sooner, allthough I made multiple 10 second passes on one too lol.
Old 09-21-2005, 10:02 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

unless you plan to start launching in 2wd, a 9" seems way overkill.

Quick Reply: kyle you jackass, look what you did.