Notices
GMT 800 & Older GM General Discussion 2006 & Older Trucks | General Discussion

Just bought Royal Purple. How is it better than Mobil1?

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2004, 10:35 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

haha, it's cool
Old 12-21-2004, 01:18 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by A3Z28
i've personally seen Royal Purple oil gum up and become very thick in very short periods of time in "high" performance engines. i wouldn't put it in my Daughter's Jr. Dragster.... BodyGuard, go to WWW.THEBESTOIL.COM and see if you can locate a dealer in your area. if not i'll check and see what i can find and let you know. if you do have to order it i can make you a good deal on the shipped price. just let me know.
im sorry im going to have to disagree with you on that one we ran royal purple in my jr. motors forever never had on problem with gum up and thicken not until we started running a rhino block did we switch the FHS because our motor builder told us to.also my and my dad both in our race cars run royal purple racing 11 best racing motor oil out there very expensive but very worth it wouldn't use any other kind.
Old 12-21-2004, 07:45 PM
Banned

that's your opinion and you're very entitled to it. but I have personally seen the horror stories of that particular oil, so I will not use it. that is my perrogative, and you have your own.
Old 02-15-2005, 06:56 PM
TECH Resident

im using 5qts of mb1 10w30, and 1qt of that new lucas pure syn....and i noticed a bit of better cold starts and etc...
Old 02-15-2005, 10:11 PM
12 Second Club

we where running RP in our Supermodified.
was having engine problems, and sent it off, to get tore down, and checked, out.
as soon as the engine builder opened up the motor he immediatly, know what the problem was..
RP had gummed up, and was robbing our motor of HP.. had to have the whole motor tore down, cleaned, and rebuilt, to get rid of all the sludge build up..
we no longer run RP in the super. but I have it in my truck, and have noticed this gumming up, when I did my cam swap.. damn stuff was brownish in color when I did my cam swap..
dont really know if I wont to try to switch.. afraid something will happen
Old 02-15-2005, 10:44 PM
TECH Senior Member

I'll never use RP in my truck. You guys check here to read real stories about oil.

http://theoildrop.server101.com/cgi/ultimatebb.cgi

Patman (a mod here) also helps run that site. Some good oil info there. Oh yeah, Scream can give you a not so good RP story.
Old 02-15-2005, 10:45 PM
Truck addict

Originally Posted by 01 Thunder
we where running RP in our Supermodified.
was having engine problems, and sent it off, to get tore down, and checked, out.
as soon as the engine builder opened up the motor he immediatly, know what the problem was..
RP had gummed up, and was robbing our motor of HP.. had to have the whole motor tore down, cleaned, and rebuilt, to get rid of all the sludge build up..
we no longer run RP in the super. but I have it in my truck, and have noticed this gumming up, when I did my cam swap.. damn stuff was brownish in color when I did my cam swap..
dont really know if I wont to try to switch.. afraid something will happen
go mobile 1 daniel. btw, where you been hiding lately. have i just overlooked you being on tech or what
Old 02-16-2005, 06:05 AM
Formerly one92rs

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Talking

i have run royal purple for years. no probs. all comp cams are run in royal purple as well when they are made to. that is the lubricant that they use.
Old 02-16-2005, 04:17 PM
Truck Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have also heard alot about RP gummin up!I do not kow though I am also and Amsoil dealer and have been using the stuff for awhile and oil analsis results have always come back great!
Old 02-16-2005, 09:51 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by goshawk23
go mobile 1 daniel. btw, where you been hiding lately. have i just overlooked you being on tech or what
nope.
started a new job, been working crazy hours.. while I am in training..
once training is over I will have somewhat of a normal schedule

Quick Reply: Just bought Royal Purple. How is it better than Mobil1?