Notices
GMT 800 & Older GM General Discussion 2006 & Older Trucks | General Discussion

Instrument Cluster Re-call

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2008, 06:23 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Instrument Cluster Re-call

Just got a re-call notice for sticking speedo needle and fuel level. Options being take it to the dealer to replace the IC or if you've already had it fixed, mail them a document with the bill and they will reimburse the repair.

Wonder how far I would get sending them a bill for the time it took to research the fix, the $10 part I bought, and the 1/2 hour it took me to solder it in and fix their junk?

Last edited by KySilverado; 01-08-2008 at 08:12 PM.
Old 01-08-2008, 06:35 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 304 Likes on 221 Posts

What years is the recall for.
Old 01-08-2008, 07:28 PM
TECH Senior Member

Mine is specific for my 2003.
Old 01-08-2008, 08:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I made up a bill on one of our manual receipts at work and sent it in asking to be refunded. My boss didn't care it was his idea!!

Thats been about 3 weeks. We'll see If i get anything back or not.

Mine was also for an 03.

When we replace one and re-program it for a customer, we charge about $450-500 bucks so I asked for $325 on my refund letter.
Old 01-08-2008, 08:19 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

there is a thread on here somewhere that has a phone number you can call... my friend was having problems with his 2004 Z71 and i gave him the number and he took the truck in and got a new cluster after some fussing and handed over the phone number.... no problems yet..... ill have to look for it tom.
Old 01-09-2008, 09:48 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by KySilverado
Just got a re-call notice for sticking speedo needle and fuel level. Options being take it to the dealer to replace the IC or if you've already had it fixed, mail them a document with the bill and they will reimburse the repair.

Wonder how far I would get sending them a bill for the time it took to research the fix, the $10 part I bought, and the 1/2 hour it took me to solder it in and fix their junk?
That's not going to happen. What they mean is, if you have had it replaced or fixed by the GM Dealer, and have the supporting documentation like a repair order or an over the counter parts reciept. Then GM will reimburse you for the money spent to fix the issue.

Technically it's actually a Warranty extension on the cluster only, not a re-call.

I see this very same repair ever day I come to work. We do at least one a day here.
Old 01-09-2008, 08:16 PM
TECH Resident

Is there a mileage limit on this? I'm at 99k right now and mine just started acting up

nm, just read the other thread, 70k
Old 01-10-2008, 09:21 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by magnetized
Is there a mileage limit on this? I'm at 99k right now and mine just started acting up

You might call your local dealer anyways and see what they say anyways.
Old 01-10-2008, 09:25 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by magnetized

Yes it is 70K limit.
Old 01-10-2008, 09:30 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Torque_Wrench
That's not going to happen. What they mean is, if you have had it replaced or fixed by the GM Dealer, and have the supporting documentation like a repair order or an over the counter parts reciept. Then GM will reimburse you for the money spent to fix the issue.

Technically it's actually a Warranty extension on the cluster only, not a re-call.

I see this very same repair ever day I come to work. We do at least one a day here.
I know I would not see any re-imburse for it. I was more or less venting. Don't get me wrong I mostly love my truck but all these pidly quality issues with it drive me nuts and I doubt that I will ever buy another GM product because of them.

The last Toyota I owned. A 4runner, aside from maintenance items, I honeslty only changed one interior light bulb in 6 years ownership and 120K miles. It was slow as hell though

Quick Reply: Instrument Cluster Re-call