Notices
GMT 800 & Older GM General Discussion 2006 & Older Trucks | General Discussion

Install stall and no or barely reverse.

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2017, 01:39 PM
TECH Addict

Received 371 Likes on 299 Posts

Originally Posted by 01SilveradoJakee
So i contacted Circle D and stated my issues. They were concerned that it wasnt install properly or a bad stall. They asked for fluid temp and if it was working 100%.
Fluid temo hasnt been past 165 and it works damn good. He said it might be normal and how big the stall is.

If i come to a grade in my drive way. No more then 2 % and dont get a "running start" itll stop and roll forward no matter how much gas i give it.
Are you saying it never grabs/moves the truck? That certainly doesn't sound right. My 2B was loose but it would move the truck.....it just took a few more rpm's.
Old 06-13-2017, 01:58 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 192 Likes on 150 Posts

It really does sound like a fluid level issue.
Old 06-13-2017, 08:49 PM
11 Second Club

Received 30 Likes on 30 Posts

If you pull the shifter all the way to manual 1 what happens?

Did you do anything else to the trans while installing the converter.
Like shift kit, servo, etc ?
Old 06-13-2017, 11:04 PM
Launching!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by madmann26
Are you saying it never grabs/moves the truck? That certainly doesn't sound right. My 2B was loose but it would move the truck.....it just took a few more rpm's.
No I'm saying it doesn't move as strong. If there is a slight inclin or anything I have to get a running start to get up there. Today Didn't have an issue with anything. I can give it more throttle and doesn't really move unless I snap the throttle hard and when its coming down the rpm range it barely wants to move. I tried revving it to 3200 rpms like my stall is with no help.
Old 06-13-2017, 11:07 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by MrHorsepowerLSx
If you pull the shifter all the way to manual 1 what happens?

Did you do anything else to the trans while installing the converter.
Like shift kit, servo, etc ?
I will go into first like it always has.

Only thing I did other than the stall was take my 1-2 accumulator and flip it normal way up (Transgo kit says to flip the accumulator and add bigger spring and uses gold shims) IT made my 1-2 super hard. would chirp tires when shifting from 1-2 with anything more than 25% throttle and really hard when less throttle was applied. Thought making more power and loosing traction while shifting wasn't going to work (spinnin aint winnin)
Old 06-14-2017, 05:49 AM
11 Second Club

Thinking about my question, I don't think it was very clear.

If you pull the shifter into manual low (1st gear) and drive then truck, then shift into 2nd gear manually, is the trans shifting or is the trans starting in 2nd gear

Last edited by MrHorsepowerLSx; 06-14-2017 at 05:55 AM.
Old 06-14-2017, 02:10 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by MrHorsepowerLSx
Thinking about my question, I don't think it was very clear.

If you pull the shifter into manual low (1st gear) and drive then truck, then shift into 2nd gear manually, is the trans shifting or is the trans starting in 2nd gear
Yes if i put it into first it will stay in 1st uptill i up shift or the computer will make it shift to 2nd.
Old 06-14-2017, 02:46 PM

Received 222 Likes on 148 Posts

luke03 had this exact issue...his truck drove perfect 1-4...put in in reverse at the slightest incline and it wouldn't even back out of a parking spot. hell, it wouldn't back over a 1/2" bump in the curb unless you had a running start at it.

whatever chris says, this is not right...whether it is the converter or transmission causing the issue it's wrong. I've had a 6,000 stall converter that backed up just as good as it drove forward.
Old 06-14-2017, 03:35 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by TXsilverado
luke03 had this exact issue...his truck drove perfect 1-4...put in in reverse at the slightest incline and it wouldn't even back out of a parking spot. hell, it wouldn't back over a 1/2" bump in the curb unless you had a running start at it.

whatever chris says, this is not right...whether it is the converter or transmission causing the issue it's wrong. I've had a 6,000 stall converter that backed up just as good as it drove forward.
^^^ this

I've have similarly large stalls that performed equally well in both directions.

You could always pull the trans and pull the converter ( I wouldn't want to ) but you may have to pull it to see what is going on. You could also drop the pan and check for "extra parts"

I would flip your accumluator back to how it was before the swap. You could have a small knick in the seal, it could possibly be cocked, it could have fluid bypassing. Just some things to keep the process of elimination going.

A bit off topic but I had an issue and I did a TCI full billet servo setup. I had similar issues, but then disaster would strike on cue, pressure would build up and blow the seal out of the case spraying fluid on a hot exhaust.

Come to find out the billet piston was getting cocked in the housing,and pressure was building up and causeing the seal the blowout. I installed a OE vette servo setup problem solved. After I tore my transmission apart I measured the TCI set up with the OEM set up and the TCI set up was just a hair smaller than the OEM

FWIW
Old 06-20-2017, 09:03 AM
11 Second Club