Notices
GMT 800 & Older GM General Discussion 2006 & Older Trucks | General Discussion

I have a weird ass leak?!?!

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2005, 03:19 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Neil 6.0
Sounds like your blinker fluid is leaking out.
I wish it were that!!!
Came back from lunch today in someone else's vehicle to see a puddle under my truck about a foot in diameter!!!
It is coolant and I still cannot see where the hell its leaking from.
I have to track this down its making me nuts.
My truck is not smoking so I don't think its a head gasket, and if it was I'd see **** in my oil and it would be smoking out the tailpipe right?!?!
None of the hoses are wet underneath either.
Well I just hope its nothing serious. I got a low coolant message light about two weeks ago and put a quart or so of distilled water in the overfow tank. Maybe that was too much?? DOH!!!
Old 11-02-2005, 04:15 PM
TECH Addict

Hmm, might be the heater core. Not fun to replace.
Old 11-02-2005, 04:23 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Neil 6.0
Hmm, might be the heater core. Not fun to replace.
If the heater core was leaking wouldn't it be dripping inside the cab?
Old 11-02-2005, 05:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

it can leak from the motor side of the firewall, its time to get dirty, Id say start her up let it sit untill warm and start looking for drips then follow the trail.
Old 11-02-2005, 06:11 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by NoChrome
it can leak from the motor side of the firewall, its time to get dirty, Id say start her up let it sit untill warm and start looking for drips then follow the trail.
I let the silly thing idle in our parking lot at work for 15 minutes and no drips!! WTF??!!
I'm about to go out and pull off my front skid plate to get a better look at it. I'll report back.
Old 11-02-2005, 06:12 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

right.. it should be leaking in the cab if it were that... theres a pin hole leak that is getting larger in some type of hose that is hidden somewhere... do what nochrome said and trace the leak... it'll be fun, lol get some beer, some food and have a ball

let me add... it might be a pressure thing... after letting it get warm idleing like that... hit the accelerator a few times and see if anything happens.. than shut it off and come back in like 15 mins... bc you say it only leaks when its off it sounds like or from what you notice... just try a few different things.. you'll catch that sneaky *** leak yet!
Old 11-02-2005, 06:27 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It could also be that it does not begin to leak until the system is turned off and allowed to sit. Since heat may still be increasing due to the block being warm (and no fans are running), the leak may not occur until the vehicle is sitting for 15 minutes to a half hour. I'd be tempted to drive it for a while to get it up to temp, then park and and check it after a little while.
Old 11-02-2005, 06:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

I called my pops, hes old school, and he said to tie rags around your radiator hoses...all of them and let em' sit for a while, then come back and find out where its leaking by which rags are wet.... steer clear of anything that moves and exhaust.
Old 11-02-2005, 07:26 PM
TECH Veteran

Well, after pulling off the skid plate I could at least see that the leak was somewhere toward the very front of the engine. With all the freaking electrical lines and tranny lines running along the passenger side of the oil pan it was still to hard to see from the bottom.
I backed it off the ramps and looked in from the top.
After allot of swearing in my head and what the hells I could see between the water pump and the block where there is about a 1'4"-3/8" gap that some fluid was behind the pump.
I stuck a q-tip taped to a long screw driver down there and sure enough...coolant.
Now, what is leaking?? Is it the pump or something else?
The pump from the front and all of its hose connections are completely dry.
It says in my DELUXE Haynes manual that the pump has a weep hole underneath that will leak if the protective seal fails.
Could this be it?
I don't have a stick mirror at home to check it now, it will have to wait til I go to work and get it out of my tool box.

Hey guys thanks for all the help replies and humor...it helps!!

Oh ya, my truck has about 60k miles on it now for reference.

Last edited by TG02Z71; 11-02-2005 at 09:59 PM.
Old 11-02-2005, 08:31 PM
On The Tree

My truck has the same problem. Itll leave a coolant puddle about 2in in diameter under the frount of the truck every once in a while. I have not crawled under to see exactly where it is coming from but im think it is the weep hole or a bad pump gasket. Leaks **** me off

Quick Reply: I have a weird ass leak?!?!