Notices
GMT 800 & Older GM General Discussion 2006 & Older Trucks | General Discussion

How hard is it to replace the airbag module???

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2009, 02:45 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default How hard is it to replace the airbag module???

Simply put, I have an '04 silverado with manual seats and found a set of '06 regular LS seats (manual) that I'm going to swap in this spring. From what I read the airbag module needs to be swapped from the old seats to the new ones but no one has elaborated. What's involved with doing this? I want to swap the entire seats out and not have to move foam and covers around. Can someone tell me how to get at the modules on both seats?
Old 01-17-2009, 05:09 PM
TECH Junkie

Wow, not a person?
Old 01-19-2009, 07:58 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Are you speaking of the SDM (sensing diagnostic module)? or the Passenger Pressense sensor?
Old 01-19-2009, 08:27 AM
TECH Junkie

Well, I heard briefly in other threads that the connectors are different for an 06 seat vs an 04 underneath. Keep in mind this is a FULL MANUAL seat but there's still connectors under it. Isn't there an airbag module under the seat or does it stay on the floor of the truck? Maybe I should rephrase my question, Can I just swap seats without doing anything fancy or is there wire splicing involved and new connector soldering involved? I won't be able to get to the truck for a couple of months yes as it is in storage. What do you think?
Old 01-19-2009, 09:42 AM
TECH Addict

OKay, I see what you mean now. The problem enlies with the seats. The sensing diagnostic module under the seat IS diffrent and the connectors are diffrent. While the seat is pratically the same, the module uses a difftrent harness and connector. I currently have the smae problem in my shop as we have purchased a Repo truck, and the previous owner decided to sell the seat to someone else and replace it with a cheap work truck seat. So I'm in the same quandry as you. Thsi is next to an impossible situation unless you are prepared to spend some money on it.
Old 01-19-2009, 06:05 PM
TECH Junkie

Uhhhhh this sounds like this project is going to suck......... Let me know what you find out. Otherwise I will take both seats apart and start swapping foam and covers and just reuse the frame
Old 01-19-2009, 09:41 PM
Staging Lane

My airbag module was on the floor of my 01, but i'm not sure on your truck.
Old 01-19-2009, 09:59 PM
TECH Junkie

I went out to the garage tonight to look at the seats and there's no module under the ones I bought, just a couple of connectors hanging down I'm assuming for the seat belt sensors and pressure sensors for passenger weight. Does this sound right?
Old 01-20-2009, 07:21 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by hirdlej
I went out to the garage tonight to look at the seats and there's no module under the ones I bought, just a couple of connectors hanging down I'm assuming for the seat belt sensors and pressure sensors for passenger weight. Does this sound right?
Yeah you're key on! The connectors probably won't connect to the SDM that bolted to the floor under your drivers seat either.
Old 01-20-2009, 09:11 AM
TECH Junkie

Can a guy cut and solder the connectors from seat to seat or should I plan on removing all the foam and seat covers from the new seats onto my old work truck seats? I know they're the same frame anyways. Why the F does GM do this? To prevent totalled out vehicles from getting fixed or something?

Quick Reply: How hard is it to replace the airbag module???