PerformanceTrucks.net Forums

PerformanceTrucks.net Forums (https://www.performancetrucks.net/forums/)
-   GMT 800 & Older GM General Discussion (https://www.performancetrucks.net/forums/gmt-800-older-gm-general-discussion-130/)
-   -   High Jacked!!!! (https://www.performancetrucks.net/forums/gmt-800-older-gm-general-discussion-130/high-jacked-500223/)

00loudchevy 04-11-2012 03:55 PM

High Jacked!!!!

Ok guys help me out. I high jacked my son account on here. We are having a highly contested debate about the way to build his engine. First it started out as a stock 5.3 liter iron block. We have a ds1 Procharger that will be putting out 15lb of boost. It will be recieving new forged rods, pistons, and crank. We have a set of 317 truck heads. Freshed with new springs, valves & roller rockers. Our cam wil be custom grind to match plus a torque convertor to match. What way do you think would be better....boring out the 5.3 to a 5.7 or simply replacing it with a 5.7 or 6.0. Should we stroke the 5.3 also or leave the stock stroke? Plus do you think we can still push a small shot of nitrous through it being ProCharged?

Thanks
Concerned Dad :bang:

oakley6575 04-11-2012 04:24 PM

Personally I would just find a used 6.0L and throw everything on that. Simple swap and I think it would be worth it over boring the 5.3L. I have heard good things about the LS9 cam so far.

More info one the truck and set up would be good. Is this a daily driven truck? Year/Make/Model?

You can run a small shot of nitrous through it if it's going to be built and be able to handle all that power. A lot of guys use nitrous as a cooling agent for high boost applications. Instead of going that route, I would put methanol/water injection on it. Sounds like nothing but positive effects with water/meth. GL

06tx4.8 04-11-2012 04:48 PM

6.0 w/ a ls9 cam would run great

00loudchevy 04-11-2012 04:53 PM

it's a daily driver. 2000 Chevy Silverado Ext Cab.

Might be able to get a cheap LS6 block locally too.

oakley6575 04-11-2012 04:57 PM

Yea since it's a daily driver, I would run the ls9 cam. But at the same time, I don't know how the 317 heads would like that cam. Procharger with meth and you should be able to handle 15psi everyday.

06tx4.8 04-11-2012 04:57 PM

find u an lq4 6 liter, put some rod bolts in it, ls9 cam and call it good. good DD motor, and make great power with a procharger. This is the easiest and best bang for the buck in my opinion. u could always stick some l92s on it with an intake to help that cam breath also.

batboy 04-11-2012 08:08 PM

FI engines seem to work better with shorter strokes. If you already have a 5.3 motor, by all means use it. Boring it out to 5.7 size would be a bonus. The rest of the mods look reasonable. A forged rotating assembly with ARP rod bolts should handle a boost and a small shot of giggle gas. Small is subjective, what size are you thinking?

TIM Z 04-11-2012 08:16 PM

Originally Posted by 06tx4.8 (Post 4903652)
find u an lq4 6 liter, put some rod bolts in it, ls9 cam and call it good. good DD motor, and make great power with a procharger. This is the easiest and best bang for the buck in my opinion. u could always stick some l92s on it with an intake to help that cam breath also.

Yep ^^^^!

Or just run the stock 5.3 and boost it with a good cam and headers exhaust .

Like myself there are lots of stock long block boosted guys here running 10's/11's all day long with stock LS engines, They dont Need built.