Notices
GMT 800 & Older GM General Discussion 2006 & Older Trucks | General Discussion

Here'a a new one for ya

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2011, 09:02 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Here'a a new one for ya

I've seen every kind of exhaust question on this forum, with the exception of one. I'm running headers and an ORY pipe. Here's the question....

Instead of a high flow muffler, like say a magnaflow on the stock exhaust, what's the harm with putting in a high flow cat, like say a magnaflow, instead? What will the performance effects be versus a muffler? How much will it dampen the sound versus a muffler?
Old 03-03-2011, 05:26 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I can't think of any benefit. It seems like it would be loud as hell to me. A cat is intended to burn off excess emissions before it enters the air. The cat works off of the engine heat, and placing it that far down the system would keep it too cool so it could not work as it is intended to.
Old 03-03-2011, 06:00 PM
TECH Resident

i just wanna say i dont think its new lol. i had the same setup, longtubes ory with a 14" magnaflow, and the drone was horrible. i like my current setup
Old 03-03-2011, 07:48 PM
TECH Regular

Cat...NO

Resonator is what your thinking about. Cats just burn off excess fuel in the exhaust....resonators change the sounds....they do both look very similar though.
Old 03-03-2011, 11:46 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

cats will change the sounds as well, they will make it quieter. resonators will make it quieter as well, cats are more restrictive i think
Old 03-04-2011, 07:24 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 1sik02
i just wanna say i dont think its new lol. i had the same setup, longtubes ory with a 14" magnaflow, and the drone was horrible. i like my current setup

LOL, dude, I searched all kinds of crap to try and find an answer. One thing I hate doing is creating repeatative threads, because the guys that have the knowledge to answer the question have answered it so many times, they are sick of it.

Anyhow, if you like your set up, what is it exactly?

What the hell is a resignator?
Old 03-04-2011, 09:29 AM
TECH Fanatic

Resonator is a term frequently used in the performance circles to describe a very small, usually straight through design muffler. Also called a bullet muffler by some, they are most often designed like a very short glass pack that only reduces noise a small amount but helps to cancel out some of the less desired rasp and pop that comes from straight pipe. However not all resonators have packing inside, for example the original SLP Loudmouth muffler was simply 4" pipe that necked down to 3" on the ends.