PerformanceTrucks.net Forums

PerformanceTrucks.net Forums (https://www.performancetrucks.net/forums/)
-   GMT 800 & Older GM General Discussion (https://www.performancetrucks.net/forums/gmt-800-older-gm-general-discussion-130/)
-   -   Help me find the bad wire (https://www.performancetrucks.net/forums/gmt-800-older-gm-general-discussion-130/help-me-find-bad-wire-468189/)

mhotrodscooter 08-29-2010 12:35 PM

Help me find the bad wire

Ive got a miss sometimes between 1500 to 2000 rpms. Is there anyways to find this easily? I just know it's a plug wire but how can I find out which one?
I've rubbed my fingers down each one hoping to get shocked, but nothing. Not getting any codes cause that's delete I think!

Daryn 08-29-2010 12:49 PM

if its missin on a cylinder. check your primarys with a laser temp gauge.... the missin one wil be 20-50* cooler

mhotrodscooter 08-29-2010 12:58 PM

It's not a steady miss it just does every once in a while I'm driving it! Started right after my last dyno runs!

Laser gun a good idea though!

Blown06 08-30-2010 02:27 AM

My guess is that your MAF has gone bad. I encountered this same problem on a ws6 that I was tuning and I couldn't figure out what the hell the problem was. Turned the MAF off and bam, car ran perfect.

If you had a bad plug wire, it would miss all the time, no matter what rpm.

mhotrodscooter 08-30-2010 05:54 AM

If you had a bad plug wire, it would miss all the time, no matter what rpm.[/QUOTE]

Not all the time! I've had wires that would only miss on top end around 6500k mark! I've had them miss only when it rains lol!

I hope it ain't the MAF

LightFighter 08-30-2010 09:02 AM

scanning it will tell you what cly is missing........ it could also be an injector or a faulty plug.. without a scanner get an extra plug and wire and check each coil first. once you see all coils fire then swap the wire on each cly... if the miss doesn't go away then you have to swap a know good plug around. if the miss doesn't go away then you know its something else. Time to start looking at other things. Having a scanner definitely makes it easier to narrow the search down

mhotrodscooter 08-30-2010 10:05 AM

Originally Posted by LightFighter (Post 4529437)
scanning it will tell you what cly is missing........ it could also be an injector or a faulty plug.. without a scanner get an extra plug and wire and check each coil first. once you see all coils fire then swap the wire on each cly... if the miss doesn't go away then you have to swap a know good plug around. if the miss doesn't go away then you know its something else. Time to start looking at other things. Having a scanner definitely makes it easier to narrow the search down

So a scanner will find a misfire even if misfires have been delete?

I guess going one by one is the only way! Back to the ole school lol!

Blown06 08-31-2010 02:07 AM

find someone with hptuners, throw it into sd in the scanner and see if the problem goes away. if so, the maf is bad. based on your symtoms, thats what i'm guessing. I just can see how a busted plug wire can fix and unfix itself.

Blown06 09-04-2010 02:58 AM

Any updates on this.....

mhotrodscooter 09-04-2010 05:21 AM

Not yet Blown06, still haven't made it home yet!