Notices
GMT 800 & Older GM General Discussion 2006 & Older Trucks | General Discussion

got some issues

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2009, 06:14 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default got some issues

Well i got a few issues i need to address, getting warmer out so i can do it. First is I have a crackling noise around 75mph that sounds like its off the windshield. My old truck didnt have it and it is an aftermarket windshield, any thoughts, its annoying as hell.
Next is noise i have behind the dash, i heard there is a A/C coolant line recall or something that can cure this. Its almost like a bubbling noise and i remember hearing about it on here somewhere but couldnt find it.
Also the damn cruise control crapped out this week, i hit the button and nothing happens, tried everything and cant get it to work. Anybody have this issue? If so what did you end up doing? I has ETC to.
Last thing that started happening is a clunk in the front end when turing at low speed, only one clunk. I figured tie rods, ball joint or something like that. Any thoughts or ideas on these subjects would be greatly appreciated. I feel like its falling apart and getting fed up with issues, but still like the truck. Oh yea its a 4x4 also. thanks
Old 02-14-2009, 06:31 PM
13 Second Truck Club

Originally Posted by dkota1968
crackling noise around 75mph that sounds like its off the windshield.
This sounds like your windshield reveal moldings are loose, the moldings on the outside of the windshield that run up and down at the a pillar, you can lift the lip up and put some black rtv under them and let dry then trim the excess away or you can buy the new "updated" moldings from GM
Next is noise i have behind the dash, i heard there is a A/C coolant line recall or something that can cure this. Its almost like a bubbling noise
if this is a whoosh or gurgling type of noise at low engine speeds or after turned off then the bulletin might apply, there is a new designed hose available but honestly this has no effect on system performance and is only a PIA as you noted
Also the damn cruise control crapped out this week
this would be best checked out locally, could be anything from the switch to a bad ground
Last thing that started happening is a clunk in the front end when turing at low speed, only one clunk
this could be numerous things as you noted
maybe that will point you in the right direction
Old 02-15-2009, 01:34 PM
PT's Slowest Truck

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The clunk that you're hearing may be the infamous steering intermediate shaft clunk, all of our trucks do it lol. There used to be a grease kit available, but I think it's been discontinued as the shaft has been re-designed for the umpteenth time.
Old 02-17-2009, 09:44 PM
TECH Apprentice

sry im just getting back to you guys, ive been f'n with my atv and it hates me at the moment. Those window moldings that are mentioned do you know if that would be a glass company thing or something i can do my self. The clunck thing amazingly isnt the steering shaft i know all about that one . Its a big pop but only happens one time when i turn.
Old 02-19-2009, 10:58 AM
13 Second Truck Club

You can do the moldings yourself, or have a glass company do it if your not comfortable, but it really isn't that complicated if you take your time. I will get some pics up, if you'd like to show you what I'm talking about.
Old 02-19-2009, 11:04 AM
TECH Regular

the clunk may be your hub on either side....i had to have mine replaced...it was doing the same thing. fixed the problem
Old 02-19-2009, 07:00 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Make sure the cracking noise isn't something as simple as the type of wiper blades that are on your truck. My factory GM wipers used to make a rattling/crackling noise over 60mph. I switched to Bosch Icon contouring wipers, and the noise went away..........
Old 02-19-2009, 09:21 PM
TECH Apprentice

bigbadwolf if you could post the pics that would be great. Looks like im gona have to just get my truck into the garage and check out the clunk saturday, should be warm enough. I'll def check out those hubs, on the last truck i heard the grinding noise not a clunk but will look anyways. Funny thing about the wiper blades is i just bought some rain X wipers last night because the gm ones finally had it. I ll get on the highway to check if the noise went away. Thanks for the responses guys.
Old 02-21-2009, 04:00 PM
13 Second Truck Club

there's a pic to show which weatherstrip is likely causing this, to make sure you can try to run your finger under the lip of the strip on the windshield side, if its fairly loose you may have found your problem. The new designed strips from GM are more rigid and resist flapping in the wind, also bug shields tend to aggravate the windflow across the windshield and cause the strips to flutter.
To repair a loose strip you can lift up the lip and apply a bead of black RTV sealant under the lip to adhere the seal to the windshield. It may be needed to clean the dirt from under the seal first.
Old 02-23-2009, 10:30 PM
TECH Apprentice

Thanks for the pic bud, ill check it out tomorrow.