Notices
GMT 800 & Older GM General Discussion 2006 & Older Trucks | General Discussion

Good information on Prochargers!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2005, 11:36 PM
12 Second Truck Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by onequick5.3
Pretty much a street and strip truck wanting maybe 480 rwhp with a wideband tune and I think I might go with the VHP 045 cam. Of course I will also need a tranny and rearend. But screw what they say Im gonna go with the D1 for sure. What would a D1SC 11 pounds of boost, 5.3 with Dynatech headers, 045 VHP cam (I think 216-220 .551/.551 115 lobe) Borla exhaust make? The P1SC witha comp cam made 480rwhp according to the sites owners list. I think that will be more than enough for power.
480 shouldn't be a problem. The thing about centrifugal chargers, is 480 centrifugal charged horses is way slower in a drag race than 480 horses from a roots, twin screw, or turbo. The centrifugal has a high peak hp, but at the bottom of a shift, or launching, they don't make much power at all.
I'd say, under 500 rwhp, go with a Radix.

I'll bet with a stock or mild stall, a 430 rwhp Radix setup could outrun a 480 rwhp ATI setup in the 1/4.

The only choice I had was ATI when I was shopping for an intercooled blower.
Old 01-14-2005, 12:32 AM
12 Second Truck Club

I feel for you ATI guys. It's a great system and all but has it's short comings and instead of lying and covering up those faults you guys stick out your neck and tell it straight up. I really respect that about you guys.

It's part of what makes this forum so great. Most of us are not so image consious that we can't tell the ups AND downs of our mods for fear of looking dumb for spending hard earned money on them.

Sorry to hijack the thread. I just felt like letting you all know that the honesty is appreciated.
Old 01-14-2005, 10:42 AM
On The Tree

The only choice I had was ATI when I was shopping for an intercooled blower.
Same here, Radix was not CARB legal yet and I had never heard of STS and I don't think they were legal yet anyway. If I could do it over now I would go Radix, maybe even STS (everything I have learned lurking around here has really turned me on to turbos). Like everyone else said you will only see full boost right before the shifts and very little boost off idle-3000rpm (maybe 3-4 lbs) w/ a 9 PSI pulley, at 3000rpm it really wakes up though and pulls hard right up to the shift point. Maybe the D1 is better? After spending the money for injectors, tuning, new fuel pump and all the other little things to make the ATI work better, I could have gone Radix, saved some money and had better lowend power (which was my original goal anyway since I tow a lot). When I was looking, ATI was the only intercooled option and the blower itself has actually been a good unit, very reliable so far (17K and just regular oil changes), just not a very good kit. On a positive note, the ATI is probably alot easier on the driveline since the power comes in gradually.

My $.02
Old 01-14-2005, 01:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Really so a 430 rwhp Radix could run just as fast as a 480 rwhp ATI. Maybe I will look at the Radix some more. Does the larger upgraded intercooler come standard now? (For the Radix). Also whats the price, if I could get a Silverstardust finish for around 4700 or 4800 I think thats what I would buy. What I like about the Radix : Can be installed in one day, comes with everything including the tune. Then I could get a built up trans and a slight stall (2800 vigilante) then invest in a smaller 3.0 or 2.9 pulley and custom nelson tune at the same time! Then finally install the VHP 045 cam and a updated tune. So apparently I will probley be like the rest of the board and go with a Radix.
Old 01-14-2005, 02:27 PM
lm7
TECH Fanatic

heres the thing when i had my procharger at first i was pissed.... cuz i didnt have injectors or a tune....once i got them i loved it.... now i catn really say how it felt on my 5.3 cuz it was on there for about a week and then i swapped in my lq4....now that its gone i miss it alot.... i have an a4 2001 trans am now and it feels like a turd compared to my truck...things i liked about the procharger....daily driviing is easy and boost is predictable..felt near stock until i opened it up...my 4l60 with a transgo and billet servos lasted a very long time and i never blew it weird thing is i blew up an FLP level5 in about 2 weeks...but i that was parish's old tranny...and the front pump blew once on me becuase i installed the TC wrong and it was never the same after that.....
if i would do it over id buy a cmotors kit or the procharger again.
Old 01-14-2005, 04:53 PM
12 Second Truck Club

Originally Posted by onequick5.3
Really so a 430 rwhp Radix could run just as fast as a 480 rwhp ATI.
I'd bet money on it as long as they both had the stock or only a small stall. With a bigger stall, then the ATI would have an advantage though.

It's all about HP throughout the rev range. The ATI makes a nice peak number, but feels like it dies at the shifts and launches like a turd. That's where the ATI loses alot of ground. The radix is making full boost at the shifts and launch.

My 3800 stall changed all that. Launches at 4000, and 6000rpm shifts drop to only 5000.

Compared to 1600 launch and drop to 3500 for the stock stall.

3000 launch and drop to 3900 for the TT3000.

The driveability of the 3800 stall sucks though. Gotta pay the price for good ET's.
Old 01-14-2005, 09:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Well if I went with the ATI I was gonna go a 3200 stall and if I went with the Radix a 2800 or 2500 would be the choice. Still undecided but I have a while to decided.
Old 01-16-2005, 12:04 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Black Blown 02
OK, NONE of the P1SC's will make anywhere near full boost at 3000 rpm. I have the standard P1SC with a 3.6" pulley. It makes 11psi at 5900rpm, and about 4psi at 3000 rpm. Doesn't sound like full boost to me. Whoever you talked to at ATI is full of ****!

Next thing, due to belt size availability, the smallest pulley you can use on the truck kits is a 3.6". I have a 3.4" ready to install, I had larger idlers machined to take up some belt slack. So that right there limits you to about 11-12 psi with the P1SC. Even if there were smaller belts availiable, smaller pulleys would slip anyway.

The D1SC makes about 11psi with a 4" pulley on a 5.3. A 3.6" would probably make 14-15 psi. Less belt slip, and more room to grow. D1SC all the way.

What are your goals with the truck? HP? Daily driver? ET? Towing?
YOU COULD NOT BE MORE WRONG!
There is a difference in the impeller design. I have tuned two different vehicles with the P1SC. One of these is my fathers 03 SS that is making 10.5 psi of boost @ 2800 rpm's. We are also only dropping 2 lbs of boost between shifts. The truck has a 2800 stall running 1.71 60 foot with a weight of 5589 with him sitting in it. This is with the smallaest pulley they make for the P1sc, 212/218 cam, headers, no cats, cutouts, 3 inch true duals, ect. We had a problem getting a belt that would work, I believe we ended up using a 1087 k6 with the 3 inch pulley. The iat temps with the 3 core is sitting around 150 degrees at the top of 3rd gear.

The other one is in a 408 03 suburban that has the p1sc-1 which does come in around more like 3300 rpms. This one also had the 3 core & is making around 7-8 psi.

The kit is not complete by any means. The fmu should be trashed, you will need new injectors & either edit or a custom tune. The pcm location is not the greatest either.

The biggest problem we had was the location of the air intake(on top of the drivers header). We corrected this with a cowl induction hood, a air intake boot I picked up off a colorado that we bolted to the back of the supercharger & a much larger filter with an open end that sit at the back of the cowl hood sucking in cold air.

The PSC is a bitch to install, or change the belt which we have done numerous times because everytime we made a mod we lost boost. (cam,cutouts,no cats, ect). But as far as making raw power, it rocks!
Old 01-16-2005, 12:46 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by CRAZYCUTER4.8
YOU COULD NOT BE MORE WRONG!
One of these is my fathers 03 SS that is making 10.5 psi of boost @ 2800 rpm's. We are also only dropping 2 lbs of boost between shifts. The truck has a 2800 stall running 1.71 60 foot with a weight of 5589 with him sitting in it.
10.5psi at 2800 How is that possible? A centrifugal is belt driven so boost ramps up based on engine RPM. At that rate that truck must be making 20+ pounds right before the shift. It just isnt possible for it to make that kind of boost that fast. Something has to be up with that. If that were the case than that ATI is building boost faster than the turbo's.
Is this the stock belt setup?? I just dont see how that is possible.
Old 01-16-2005, 02:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Very interesting, I have rode in a procharged vechile and it was awesome. I can say were he hit full boost becasue I was enjoying the ride to much. He also had a 3500 stall though so it pulled like a mother all over the entire range. I was impressed.

Quick Reply: Good information on Prochargers!!!!