Notices
GMT 800 & Older GM General Discussion 2006 & Older Trucks | General Discussion

GM Problems

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2006, 07:53 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm really sorry to hear that. Though I cant fully blame you. They really have there heads up there asses in the design room. If I was going to get an other than chevy truck it would be a Nissan Titan. They are huge inside and haul ***. A CC 4x4 will run high 14's STOCK and pull 9000lbs like nothing. IMO there really well thought out trucks. My buddy has an 05' CC 4x4 and the first time I rode in it I was shocked. It gets off the line fast and hard.
Old 04-04-2006, 10:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

gm dealers should have a data recorder which takes a 30 second movie of your truck data,see if they will hook it up on your truck,,i had a 05 lly that overheated every time i hauled a trailer to the mountains,gm bought it back in january and put me in a 06 lbz,stay after gm about your truck and good luck,,
Old 04-05-2006, 02:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Snake Eater
I'm really sorry to hear that. Though I cant fully blame you. They really have there heads up there asses in the design room. If I was going to get an other than chevy truck it would be a Nissan Titan. They are huge inside and haul ***. A CC 4x4 will run high 14's STOCK and pull 9000lbs like nothing. IMO there really well thought out trucks. My buddy has an 05' CC 4x4 and the first time I rode in it I was shocked. It gets off the line fast and hard.
But when he blows his differential its another story and when he strats to get whicked mad noises you will think twice trust me i look at a titan and thats the only truck before the silverado and the one i took had a rear door squeak at 14 miles
Old 04-05-2006, 02:40 PM
TECH Regular

Sorry to hear about your bad luck. My 05 Silverado Crew Cab is the best truck I've owned. I towed ~5000lbs with my 05 CrewCab 260 miles with Cruise set at 78mph. Averaged 16mpg. I do have a vibration in the drive line but its only when you go over 105mph and I can't and don't want to report that to the dealer.

2 friends of mine have Nissan Titan King Cabs. I raced on of them 05 Titan King Cab Stock and beat him by about 1.5 truck lengths from 0 - 70mph. The other Titan 06 King Cab we just put a Volant CAI and AeroChamber muffler then ran it on the G-Tech and the best it could do was 15.43 @ 94mph. This G-Tech is within a tenth of track times but mph is fast by 5 mph. I've also seen many of these at the track and have NEVER seen a STOCK Crew Cab Titan run in the 14s. The ones I've seen run high 14's had every bolton possible for those trucks, in good air/temps, and removed weight such as spare tires, tailgate, jacks, hitch and so on. There motors do make good power and I think one major thing that makes them run so well is the 5 speed auto trans....real close gear ratios. A Titan would be my second Choice after a Chevy. It also seems that the 06 Models have worked out many bugs that previous year models had.
Old 04-05-2006, 08:58 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by three83
Sorry to hear about your bad luck. My 05 Silverado Crew Cab is the best truck I've owned. I towed ~5000lbs with my 05 CrewCab 260 miles with Cruise set at 78mph. Averaged 16mpg. I do have a vibration in the drive line but its only when you go over 105mph and I can't and don't want to report that to the dealer.

2 friends of mine have Nissan Titan King Cabs. I raced on of them 05 Titan King Cab Stock and beat him by about 1.5 truck lengths from 0 - 70mph. The other Titan 06 King Cab we just put a Volant CAI and AeroChamber muffler then ran it on the G-Tech and the best it could do was 15.43 @ 94mph. This G-Tech is within a tenth of track times but mph is fast by 5 mph. I've also seen many of these at the track and have NEVER seen a STOCK Crew Cab Titan run in the 14s. The ones I've seen run high 14's had every bolton possible for those trucks, in good air/temps, and removed weight such as spare tires, tailgate, jacks, hitch and so on. There motors do make good power and I think one major thing that makes them run so well is the 5 speed auto trans....real close gear ratios. A Titan would be my second Choice after a Chevy. It also seems that the 06 Models have worked out many bugs that previous year models had.
My buddy's runs high 14's stock and take a look over at the titan forums.

I have towed 6K lbs with my yukon and got 17.5mpg on the highway doing 70, and I get an average of 21.4 unloaded at 75mph.
Old 04-06-2006, 08:07 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by MonteCarlo31
I'm out of the GM game with the truck, I'd hate to say it but probably get a ford, as much as I hate them, I never really had drivetrain or anyother problems with my old f150 in 80K miles of abuse.
Ford's will out pull a Chevrolet! Anyday!
The problem I have with Ford is their lack of engine power or that get up and go feeling. I drove my bosses 05' F-150 King Ranch 4x4 eddition truck with the 3v 5.4L. It drives quiet, smooth and plush, but when you need pass or just go, it lacks horribly in that department.
The new 07' Silverado will get updated from the ground up. So I'm sure it's towing capacities will be going up along with a lot of other things. We all hope for it at least.
3.42 gears is not a good gear at all to tow with. The 3.73 gear is a good mileage and towing gear. Anything more will just fall into a good towing gear.
The MPG will suffer after a larger gear than a 3.73 is installed.
Tire hidth is a factor in this department as well. The bigger the tire you opt for over O.E., the more gearing you will need to get closer to that stock power feeling.

Jim

Last edited by CHEVY6000VHO; 04-06-2006 at 08:12 AM.
Old 04-06-2006, 08:18 AM
TECH Enthusiast

we pull trailers up mountain every weekend ,had a ford with a 5.4,on some of the hard pulls out of corners ford will run 26 mph in low and shift to 2nd at that point it falls on its face and drops all way dowm to 17 mph before it dowm shifts ,chev with a 5.3 same hill same trailer will smoke ford guarenteed,if you dont think so bring your stock ford and we will shame you back home .both trucks; auto. 3.73 no mods
Old 04-06-2006, 08:57 AM
TECH Junkie

i towed 9500lbs in 4th gear in my silvy from FL to ME and it did great. It only down shifted on decient hills and kept 75-80mph easy. It had 4.10's and 28" tall tires though. hehehe I also got an average of 14.5mpg the whole trip.
Old 04-06-2006, 09:03 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Snake Eater
My buddy's runs high 14's stock and take a look over at the titan forums.
I am a member of the Titan forms and post there often (titantalk.com). The only ones that I saw running in the 14's have mods done to them. I could be wrong, I will post there and ask. Didn't mean to hijack the thread.
Old 04-06-2006, 10:16 AM
On The Tree

I looked at the Titan also. I own a Maxima which I think is an AWESOME car, so I wanted to check out NISSAN's truck. I was impressed by the truck. If you get the one with the towing package (BIG TOW or something like that), it comes with lower gears which makes it haul butt. The package also comes with really nice towing mirrors. I like the way the rear doors open so far and that you can plug your MP3 player into the stereo. I also like the transmission temp gauge and the fact that it has a five speed auto. The factory bedliner, cargo system, and bedside storage compartment are all very cool. I think Chevy could learn a few things from NISSAN in these areas.

Here's why I chose the Chevy:

It has a Gen III small block with roller tappets, roller rockers, and one cam. I have always loved the small block Chevy. It sounds soooo good with an exhaust system. It reminds me of the muscle cars of the late 60's and early 70's. This new small block is an awesome motor (mine is the LQ9). They have a straightforward simple design, and are very reliable, even when pushed with a supercharger or other power adder.

The 4L70E tranny is the final step in the evolution of the 700R4. This tranny is not really new, but has been improved to the point that I feel very comfortable with it. This truck has an external transmission cooler and an engine oil cooler. Heck, it even has a power steering cooler.

Consumer reports. They hate Chevy trucks. Not sure why. Every time they test one, they get one with the tallest gears they can find and trash it about lack of power and the fit and finish. Well the fit and finish on my truck impresses me a lot more than the cheap looking plastic trim inside the NISSAN. Anyway, as bad as they hate the Chevy trucks, they are rated much higher for reliability than the NISSAN Titan. In fact the NISSAN gets a solid black circle for reliability. There are certainly some issues with the Titan, but I don't know what they are.

Anyway, when this Vortec MAX came out this year, it was like Chevy built the ultimate truck for me. It has the acceleration of the SS, but with selectable 2/4WD, and a 10,000 lb towing capacity. It also has 17 inch wheels (better for off road) and I ordered mine with skid plates. And to top it off, I get the 9.5 inch 14 bolt semi floater - sweeet. Big power, tough tranny, tough axle, big towing capacity = awesome truck.

well, nuff ramblin. Just thought I'd share my thoughts on the Titan. They have some great ideas at NISSAN, but the reliability of the Titan scared me off.

Mike

Quick Reply: GM Problems