Notices
GMT 800 & Older GM General Discussion 2006 & Older Trucks | General Discussion

Gm Part #anyone?

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2006, 02:40 PM
Tin Foil Hat Wearin' Fool

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You can get forged pistons for an ls1 for 500. Not worth all the trouble of swapping it out when you could just mill your heads and get the same result for cheaper and easier. I dont know why you seem to be so stuck on putting POS hypertuetic pistons in there with the least sign of detonation with nitrous or a even a shitty tune and they are toast. Youa re talking 300 more bucks and you have a much more reliable motor and stornger.
Old 10-10-2006, 02:41 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

goshawk 03 lq4 uses a 2 different designs... you have a 1st and second design.... depending on pressed pin or not..... do you know what you have?

and also has possibility for skirt coating

89017237 2nd design fixed piston, pin pressed on

89017238 2nd design .5 mm overbore

88944004 1st design .5mm overbore w/pin
Old 10-10-2006, 02:42 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by 1slow01Z71
You can get forged pistons for an ls1 for 500. Not worth all the trouble of swapping it out when you could just mill your heads and get the same result for cheaper and easier. I dont know why you seem to be so stuck on putting POS hypertuetic pistons in there with the least sign of detonation with nitrous or a even a shitty tune and they are toast. Youa re talking 300 more bucks and you have a much more reliable motor and stornger.

1 slow i have tried to explain that. but hey im here to help so ill find what he wants
Old 10-10-2006, 03:00 PM
TECH Regular

yeah if I got LS1 pistons then I would have to bore it out to an LS1 and I dont want to do that. I understand where both of you are coming from with the forged pistons, its just not necessary if I wont be pushing that much horsepower and if I cant afford it anyways why pay the extra money for it if stock pistons will work just fine?
Old 10-10-2006, 03:15 PM

Money is better spent elsewhere and Ill leave it at that, wth experience comes knowledge
Old 10-10-2006, 03:23 PM
TECH Senior Member

I hear ya with the money thing tahts why my truck is 100% stock...... just when doing a conversion like this.... its the unknowns.... I mena i work for gm and when asking the techs, and engineers around here the best i can get is it "should" work fine.... but its not something were gonna test, because its not a real world scenario... you gotta rememebr we build these to be reliable as possible, not mi x and match to see what works....

so I am doing the best i can, because we dont test stuff like this at GM
Old 10-10-2006, 03:33 PM
TECH Regular

Well I know you have a lot experience with these engines but I wasnt asking for opinions anways I was looking for information on whether it would work or not. Not to be rude but you always seem to give your opinion instead of answering peoples questions. Not trying to start a pissing match or anything just giving my opinion as constructive criticism.

and no i dont have more knowledge than you on these engines

edit: I meant to quote cody for this reply but must have not had the box checked
Old 10-10-2006, 03:50 PM

Well they will work. You realize either way the block will have to go to the machine shop right?

I was just trying to save you the work and money and try and guide you to a much better option that is all, if oyu want to put brittle pistons in your truck then go for it.

And how the **** do all these people on here know my first name, people I have never talked to via PM/phone etc always seem to know my name I dont have slightest clue who they are.
Old 10-10-2006, 04:00 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by 1slow01Z71
And how the **** do all these people on here know my first name, people I have never talked to via PM/phone etc always seem to know my name I dont have slightest clue who they are.

Ive ran into that too its frustrating... cause my names not really common....

I dunno ddue... all i know is i am trying to help people find something for their trucks/vehicles, and they take taht to mean i will know what combinations will work.... ive neevr seen anyone put a 4.8 piston in a 5.3

but hey it mioght work it might not..... the best way to find out is if you got the extra cash just chance it....

personally i got better ways to spend my money..... and im not trying to dog anyone for trying something new, but when we say we will look up something for your vehicle please understand I may engineer parts here all day long, tht doesnt mean im gonna know how an engine will react or what teh clearances will be on a 99 5.3 with a 4.8 piston....

hell the cad designs for any engine pare before 02 is not even in my computer anymore. tahts why i told him im not sure....

I dunno i try to do something nice for people and all you get is attitude when you try to help...
Old 10-10-2006, 04:02 PM

I appreciate what you are doing, I wish you would have been on here about a year ago when I needed some stock parts

Thanks

Quick Reply: Gm Part #anyone?