Notices
GMT 800 & Older GM General Discussion 2006 & Older Trucks | General Discussion

FWIW... the FOB panic button sucks

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2004, 11:10 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default FWIW... the FOB panic button sucks

I'm always hitting that thing while it's in my pocket... then i have to run to the truck, looking like a bafoon, and kill it.

so i decided to open the case up and disable that button. i scratched the part of the circuit that goes to the panic button and now everything but that works like a charm.

this was the best solution for me because my wife's FOB still works in case she needs it, the truck still has that theft deterent feature, and it was free. i keep the XD40 handy, so i won't be needing, nor do i want, the panic alarm

may be useless info to most, but if you do the girly man run to the truck everytime it goes off too... here ya go.
Old 12-16-2004, 04:21 AM
14 Second Truck Club

keep it in a different pocket.
Old 12-16-2004, 04:29 AM
TECH Apprentice

I think if you hold the panic button down for 10 (?) seconds it will shut it off.

LK
Old 12-16-2004, 07:48 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by PairOJugs
I'm always hitting that thing while it's in my pocket... then i have to run to the truck, looking like a bafoon, and kill it..
I do the same thing ocassionally, but it disables by pushing the button again. I don't have to hold mine down...it turns off the alarm as soon as I push the button.
Old 12-16-2004, 09:21 AM
Launching!

I've accidentally hit that button a million times. The funny thing is it the remote seems to have a mind of its own. I can be half a mile away from the truck(exaggerating) and accidentally trip the alarm, but then it won't turn off until I'm about 10 feet from it.
Old 12-16-2004, 09:24 AM
On The Tree

It's fun to hit it when you see someone walking by the truck tho! We do that to people at work when we see 'em down in the parking lot.
Old 12-16-2004, 09:50 AM
Truck addict

i seen on a diff website where they used some electrical tape and placed it over the spot where the button hits. they claimed it worked well. i just unhooked my horn so i don't have to hear it. (my horn would go off on it's own at 2 am and **** my neighbors off) GM tried to fix it but same problem still exist
Old 12-16-2004, 09:56 AM
TECH Fanatic

That used to happen to me all the time. Now I have a Viper alarm, so it doesn't happen too often. Much louder when it does happen though...

Originally Posted by fluxu8
It's fun to hit it when you see someone walking by the truck tho! We do that to people at work when we see 'em down in the parking lot.
Also its more fun to set off when people go by than the factory alarm.
Old 12-16-2004, 08:30 PM
TECH Regular

i did the same thing,i took the case apart and put electrical tape on that part of the board,id throw my keys on the floor at nite or sumthin and my cars parked next to my window and it would go off major pita.
Old 12-16-2004, 09:06 PM
14 Second Truck Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Gremlin5.3
I've accidentally hit that button a million times. The funny thing is it the remote seems to have a mind of its own. I can be half a mile away from the truck(exaggerating) and accidentally trip the alarm, but then it won't turn off until I'm about 10 feet from it.
Sorta off topic, but my truck is the same. It decides how far it wants to work fromand when! Anyway, if you hold the remote to your chin or forehead it increases the distance it works from- try it. The guy who did my remote start on my car told me that, and it worked good. Im sure many of ou have done it, just for those who havent.

Quick Reply: FWIW... the FOB panic button sucks