GMT 800 & Older GM General Discussion 2006 & Older Trucks | General Discussion

enclosed or open??

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2011, 05:45 PM
makes children cry

Received 400 Likes on 327 Posts
Default enclosed or open??

so i've got a debate going...

i'm planning on trailering my car 6hrs to Road Atlanta next weekend but don't have a trailer. i ain't in a spot to buy one either, so i'm down to renting/borrowing one. that said, what i've been able to come across so far is a guy with an enclosed car hauler who might let me rent it or renting a 20' equipment trailer from hertz.

my question is how much rougher the enclosed will be on my truck if all other factors (mainly price) are the same.

the car weighs 3200 lbs & here's the stats on my truck:
  • 99 NBS Sierra 1500 4x4 RCSB
  • 5.3 / 5 speed
  • 3.73s / 31" tires
  • Class 3 hitch
  • LT headers, BB tune

i know pulling the enclosed is gonna down gas like a drunk during happy hour compared to the open one, but my biggest concern is if it's gonna be too much weight.

thanks
Old 07-30-2011, 03:33 PM
makes children cry

50 people've read this & nobody's got any insight?
Old 07-30-2011, 06:50 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't know much but go to uhaul website put ur truck info an see which trailer let's you pick. I wanna say it will tell u which trailer will suit u depending on towing capacity. Or just call them
Old 07-30-2011, 07:15 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd go with the open and cover the car up with the blue masking tape to protect the paint. But rental companies are super **** about what they'll rent to you depending on what you're pulling it with. They'll go off your truck's VIN. They'll see it as V6 half ton and want to give you no more than a radio flyer sized trailer.
Old 07-30-2011, 07:24 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hertz would rent you a trailer. Hertz equipment trailer is a beast though. It weighs as much as my 14' enclosed. Keep lock on the trailer. Lots of thieves around here. I am in between you and road atl
Old 07-30-2011, 10:12 PM
makes children cry

well, i've already pulled it down here from TN on a Uhaul trailer last fall. that was no sweat - and neither was the new camaro (700lb heavier) i pulled on a Uhaul trailer in Jan.
Uhaul/Budget/etc are a last resort because it'd be almost $200 just to rent the trailer. just 'cause i have a vette don't mean i poop out gold bricks.

as for the VIN, i ain't never had anybody run my VIN for a trailer...
besides... gearing is worth more than 2 cylinders when it really comes down to it

and zeake, i know Hertz will rent the trailer - i've already got it approved. i stopped by today (even though they were closed) to look at it. it ain't a dovetail, but the ramps are pretty long, so i think i might be good on clearance. that & i've got ramps to back the truck onto like last time. it is rated for 10,000lb, so i expect it to be a little heavy, but you think it'll be heavier than an enclosed?

ps - the Uhaul computer trailer-approval system thinks a RCSB 4x4 V8 truck has a curb weight of only 4200lb!! ask me how i know

Last edited by _zebra; 07-31-2011 at 01:49 PM.
Old 07-31-2011, 06:40 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It should not be heavier than an enclosed that would haul the vette. My enclosed is a little shorter than a car hauler and narrower. I would give the hertz trailer at least 3000#
Old 07-31-2011, 11:33 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 135 Likes on 89 Posts

The vette on an open trailer is going to be more aerodynamic than the enclosed but weight will also be a factor. Weight being equal, I would almost give up the aerodynamics of the enclosed for the protection and ease of loading.
FYI... for the weight factor, I tow my truck on a 20' open trailer for a total weight of ~6000lbs with my Tahoe. The aerodynamics probably aren't much better than an enclosed trailer either.
Old 07-31-2011, 01:57 PM
makes children cry

Originally Posted by zeake
It should not be heavier than an enclosed that would haul the vette. My enclosed is a little shorter than a car hauler and narrower. I would give the hertz trailer at least 3000#
ok, i thought you were saying the trailers themselves were equal in weight & was thinkin you might be off your rocker 3000lb sounds about right - when i asked, the lady on the phone didn't know the actual weight.

Originally Posted by BigKID
The vette on an open trailer is going to be more aerodynamic than the enclosed but weight will also be a factor. Weight being equal, I would almost give up the aerodynamics of the enclosed for the protection and ease of loading.
FYI... for the weight factor, I tow my truck on a 20' open trailer for a total weight of ~6000lbs with my Tahoe. The aerodynamics probably aren't much better than an enclosed trailer either.
yeah, with the enclosed, i could just winch it in. on the open, it's got side rails, so i'd have to crawl out the window again & finagle the window back up & then down to unload. that was fun enough the first time that i'd i'm about fun'ed out on that one

as for your trailer, that makes me feel better about it. thanks.
ps - how's that KB feel on your 6.0? i was trying to do a 2.6 on my LS1 but got ran around in so many circles, i said "screw it" & got a TVS2300
Old 08-02-2011, 04:16 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 135 Likes on 89 Posts

I like it. I have had to re-engineer a few things with it since it was essentially make for a vette but it does make some power.

Quick Reply: enclosed or open??