Notices
GMT 800 & Older GM General Discussion 2006 & Older Trucks | General Discussion

dyno tune or hp tuners

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2010, 05:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default dyno tune or hp tuners

Im about to go get dyno tuned at Futral Motorsports, but ive been tossing the idea of getting HP tuners and doing it myself. A problem ive ran into is my new computer has Windows 7 and i dont see where HP is compatible!!!! I know getting the software and doing it myself will in the long run be better, but i dont have the time really to mess with it and i would have to start a brand new tune since nelson locks all his computers. The nelson mail order tune i have really isnt a bad tune, ive been running it with this motor setup for over 2 years with no problems, but i want to dial it in now.

Any help or guidance fellas??!!
Old 09-27-2010, 06:54 PM
PT's Slowest Truck

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sounds like you answered your own question...if you want results now, the dyno tune is the way to go. Futral has an excellent reputation also as I'm sure you know

I'd go for the dyno tune now, then get HPTuners or EFILive down the road, maybe with a second PCM to learn on...
Old 09-27-2010, 07:13 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by regency
Im about to go get dyno tuned at Futral Motorsports, but ive been tossing the idea of getting HP tuners and doing it myself. A problem ive ran into is my new computer has Windows 7 and i dont see where HP is compatible!!!! I know getting the software and doing it myself will in the long run be better, but i dont have the time really to mess with it and i would have to start a brand new tune since nelson locks all his computers. The nelson mail order tune i have really isnt a bad tune, ive been running it with this motor setup for over 2 years with no problems, but i want to dial it in now.

Any help or guidance fellas??!!
road trip to Nelson the guy is great plus hes a sponser here, san antonio really isnt that far from ya, maybe 4 hours? dunno just guessing, also allen sells HPTuners, you can log and share files back and forth with him until its dialed in, then just study the tune and go from there!!! honestly a street tune is the way to go, i mean dont get me wrong a dyno tune is a start but its nothing like a live street tune

on a side note it shouldnyt cost you nothing but gas to have nelson tune it since youre tuned by him already ! thats a plud by itself
Old 09-27-2010, 07:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

that makes sence skeet, but thats about 7.5hrs on mapquest and 450 miles one way.
Old 09-27-2010, 07:46 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by regency
that makes sence skeet, but thats about 7.5hrs on mapquest and 450 miles one way.
damn lol i go through alec when i go to my camp, never really pay attention how far from me wouldnt have thought 7.5 hours geeze, hell buy hptuners
Old 09-27-2010, 07:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

lol yea its a ways!!!!!