Notices
GMT 800 & Older GM General Discussion 2006 & Older Trucks | General Discussion

driver side power window quit working?

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2010, 03:56 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default driver side power window quit working?

just like the tital says. what do i need to test? it was working strong up and down then just quit. please help i cant stand my window not working!

its on a 05 RCSB sierra pw,pl,pm
Old 09-14-2010, 03:58 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

cable likely bound up or snapped.
Old 09-14-2010, 04:05 PM
On The Tree

both of the wires gonig to the motor are grounded at the same time.
Old 09-14-2010, 04:06 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

He's most likely right. OP, it's the regulator. Some replace just that, some get the regulator & its' motor (more $ obviously). The regulator is know cables not a metal X like yrs. ago. It's a real cheesy setup.

Oh ya, I see u picked a good avatar. Peyton rocks!
Old 09-14-2010, 04:27 PM
On The Tree

the regulator is what the window runs up and down on right? and should both wires have ground going to them at the same time? I took my mirrors off and had them color matched and it when i get my truck back it wasnt working. its up tight as hell and I cant move it at all.
Old 09-14-2010, 05:00 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

it's seized up.
Old 09-14-2010, 05:11 PM
On The Tree

can somebody tell me how the window motor works? theres 2 wires going to it and there both grounded at the same time without pushing the button?
Old 09-14-2010, 05:16 PM
TECH Senior Member

It just dawned on me, you're calling 2 wires, those from the switches on door panel. IDK anything bout 2 wires grounded at same time, cause that wasn't the problem in the cases I repaired. At first I thought we were talkin bout a mechanical problem but now as I reread your posts, I see we weren't on the same page. Assuming the p/w segment is OK, u look @ the 2 cables, they represent the regulator. That, coupled w/. its' motor, control the up & down of the window. There's a L & a Rt., so make sure u order for the correct side. Odds are, u can prolly reuse your reg. motor.

Does that make sense?

These cables are ~1/16" in dia., there are 2 of them & they control the movements up & down. They're common to seizing & snapping, especially if u roll them up & down when it's real cold out. When window is cold, it's more vulnerable to damage. The reason is the motor is stronger than the cables. The motor itself has nylon gears. You have to take door apart to see.

Last edited by fastnblu; 09-14-2010 at 05:27 PM.
Old 09-14-2010, 05:29 PM
On The Tree

I got it apart. all the cables are good. It dont even try to move as if its not getting any power or the motor went out? anyway to tell?
Old 09-14-2010, 05:39 PM
TECH Senior Member

I lightly spray some silicone down moving parts just as a preventative thing. Some may say u don't do that, but it gave me piece of mind. IMO, I think it keeps moving parts freed up longer, but I could be wrong. Maybe a tech will say that I am. There may be a better product for this or maybe I'm not supposed to spray anything. Oh well.

Either the circuit needs to be completed on the driver's side or it's been a lil while since I did this, but it seems to me u could take the 1 off the pass side just to verfy. If that means takin that door apart, that's your call. Cause I can't help ya w/. electrical diagrams, just the mechanical side of the repair. Does that help? For that, draw on the electrical gurus round here.

Quick Reply: driver side power window quit working?