Notices
GMT 800 & Older GM General Discussion 2006 & Older Trucks | General Discussion

DIY on cumstom headlights and turn signals(TYC PROJECTORS)

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2008, 09:54 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DIY on cumstom headlights and turn signals(TYC PROJECTORS)

I couldnt find any pics that i took during the process but i can tell you how to do it. I got some before and after of my other car with custom black housing, yellow high beam and croners. Also some of my truck.

BEFORE

AFTER

BEFORE

AFTER

NOTE: This application for GM truck headlights was TYC projector headlights, but can be done with other types of headlights

TYC projector headlight BLUE HIGH BEAM and BLUE TURN SIGNAL LENSES
THINGS NEEDED- oven, oven mitts, large flat head, clean rags, clear silicone and spray stain, and blue painters tape (KRYLON makes RED,YELLOW,ORANGE,PURPLE, and BLUE. I used yellow for my honda and blue on truck).

First step is to remove your headlights and corner lights. Be sure to remove any bulbs and condensation tubes or anything that can melt.

Second step is to preheat your oven to 200F(I preheated mine at 250F but try 200 first). Then place ONE headlight assembely in the oven for 12-15 min. Remember to do ONE at a time. The adhesive will begin to melt and weaken from the heat. Once at proper tempurature, the front lense can be pried off the housing(I used a large flat head wrapped with a clean rag). Try not to make the original adhesive messy, will be re-using it. Once removed, let cool for 5-10min. Do this with the other headlight followed by the corner lights. Note: I did both my corner lights at once, but do not recommend it. I also tried using a heat gun and it did not work for me, but might work for you instead of using oven.

Third step is to prep the high beam area by cleaning it with a quality paint thinner. DO NOT USE ACETONE! Remove the amber reflector in corner are of lense, it should slip right out exposing 2 chrome plated openings.Tape around these openings so u dont get any over spray on black housing. Once taped, you can now apply a very thin coat of stain. Continue putting thin coats until your liking(I used 8 thin coats for high beams and side openings). Allow 3-5 min between coats. Here is side view of blue side openings.

Fourth step is to now do the same with the inside turn signal lenses. With these I did 12 thin coats to make a lil darker then the high beams. just looks nice with a lil offset coloring, but u dont have to ta make em look nice.

Fifth step is to heat the lights back up to make original adhesive loose again. once heated up to proper tempurature, press lense back onto housing. For any spots u can see between lense and housing, apply thin layers of clear silicone so that they wont fog up.

Sixth step is to reinstall lights and enjoy! any questions on any part, just send me a PM.The write up would be alot better if i find the process pics

If using other style lights and have any questions, send a pm...

-ATTEMPT CUSTOM LIGHTS AT OWN RISK- I WILL NOT BE RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY DAMAGE DONE-