Notices
GMT 800 & Older GM General Discussion 2006 & Older Trucks | General Discussion

The Chevy lean.....

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2006, 07:34 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The Chevy lean.....

I've seen this mentioned before. But the lean on my truck is getting annoying! The drivers side sits about an inch lower than the passengers side on a normal day, and sometimes it's almost 2 inches(not sure if it has to do with fuel in the tank). I've taken it in to get Chevy to look at it, and they are putting the blame on Regency because Regency installed the lowering kit. Took it to Regency, and they are blaming Chevy because almost all of the Chevy trucks have a lean to it. Everybody is blaming everyone else and meanwhile, I am left with a problem that no one wants to fix. It's pissing me off!

Now a 1/2 inch or something like that, I could live with. But when it gets upwards of 2 inches, it becomes VERY noticeable!

Has anyone found a fix for this?
Old 12-27-2006, 07:54 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm not really sure what drop the Regency's have but most guys with regular GM's put a 1" drop shackle on the rear passenger side to level it out. Either that or a coil spring spacer under the driver side spring. My truck has this problem as well but I've learned to live with it until I buy some drop springs for the front.
Old 12-27-2006, 08:05 AM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

2" ?

Is this by sight or have you actually measured a 2" difference. Mine sometimes looks as if it has a flat, but I have never measured any more than a 3/4" difference, side to side.
Old 12-27-2006, 09:12 AM
TECH Apprentice

got this from another site:

Chevy Lean **updated 9/19/06**

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Subject: Left Front of Vehicle Sits Low - keywords alignment appearance body fender spring suspension #PIT3281A - (12/13/2005)

Models: 1999-2006 Chevrolet Silverado

1999-2006 GMC Sierra

2 Wheel Drive Models Only

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The following diagnosis might be helpful if the vehicle exhibits the symptom(s) described in this PI.

Condition/Concern:
Left front of vehicle sits low.

Recommendation/Instructions:
Measure front trim height keeping in mind that the trim height tolerance is .5" difference side to side. Verify that the vehicle is equipped with the correct production front springs. You should measure the standing height of both front springs to ensure that they are equal height. Check "z" height measurements as per SI. After determining that the above checks do not influence the concern, install a front spring upper insulator, P/N 15756770 in the lower control arm spring pocket. Install 1 insulator at a time and measure the change between installations. A maximum of 2 insulators per spring pocket may be used.

Please Note: The steering alignment and headlight aim must be checked if the vehicle ride height was changed.

Please follow this diagnostic or repair process thoroughly and complete each step. If the condition exhibited is resolved without completing every step, the remaining steps do not need to be performed.
Old 12-27-2006, 12:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

I'm pretty sure your RST truck has a Ground Force drop kit with a 1" coil in the front and 2" shackles in the rear. This drop kit (and any drop kit) has NO influence on the Chevy lean you have. The Chevy lean is a "flaw" from the factory that alot of 2WD trucks have...especially RCSB trucks. Alot of people believe it's from the weight of the battery, fuse box, and gas tank since everything is on the driver's side. As already mentioned, the coil insulator and 1" shackle are the only solutions that I'm aware of. My truck has the Chevy lean too and it really makes me sick to see it all the time. It's so bad sometimes that it almost makes me want to trade the truck in, LOL.
Old 12-27-2006, 03:36 PM
Import Moderator

sucks to be you guys, no such thing as a gmc lean... jk

**** i didnt realize how much they could be leanin, 2" is ALOT
Old 12-27-2006, 05:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've never measured mine, but sometimes it will lean about two fingers worth... lol Funny thing is, it never did it till about 3 months ago, then all of a sudden, I was walking towards it, and noticed it looked like I had a flat tire. It has done it ever since...
Old 12-27-2006, 06:23 PM
11 Second Club

Received 21 Likes on 9 Posts

I thought mine just did it because I'm fat
Old 12-27-2006, 08:39 PM
TECH Junkie

You guys are not looking at the big picture.
Mine has a torsion bar front suspension. The front is perfectly level. It has this "wheel well gap" difference as well in the back. It's not noticeable until you drop them 3" or more out back.
The problem is in the bed. The driver side bed side sits lower than the passenger side. How do I know? Just look where the back bed rail meets the cab. Stand back a few feet from the back of the truck and look at the rear glass window lower seal and the bed backing plate top edge.
You should see a difference there. The bed rail will slope down towards the passenger side. At least mine does.
Then again. you said yours sits lower on the driver side...... Mine is the opposite. The bed is cause of this on mine.
Not exactly sure why yours is off.
I've seen this bed issue on many Silverados other than mine.
I guess all this talk was worth no help.
To see exactly where the problem is, take it to a alignment shop and have them measure your ride hidth at all 4 corners from the alignment rack to the 4 frame corners by each wheel. I bet this will help a lot of you guys find where your problem lies.

Jim
Old 12-27-2006, 09:23 PM
Piss Pumps for Sale

Location: Moncton, New Brunswick, Canada, The True North Strong and Free!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by CHEVY6000VHO
You guys are not looking at the big picture.
Mine has a torsion bar front suspension. The front is perfectly level. It has this "wheel well gap" difference as well in the back. It's not noticeable until you drop them 3" or more out back.
The problem is in the bed. The driver side bed side sits lower than the passenger side. How do I know? Just look where the back bed rail meets the cab. Stand back a few feet from the back of the truck and look at the rear glass window lower seal and the bed backing plate top edge.
You should see a difference there. The bed rail will slope down towards the passenger side. At least mine does.

Jim
My truck though older does the exact same thing as you said but its on the driver side. The front of the truck sits level but the bed sits lower on the drivers side then the passengers side, I measured wheel well gaps and the driver side is smaller so I took the wheels off and discovered a cracked leaf spring on the passenger side and some pretty worn out leaf springs on the driver side, so I think this is the problem at least on mine

Quick Reply: The Chevy lean.....